• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB / Card reader

D'Hag

Lurker
Dec 17, 2010
I have several "game cameras" in the forest around my home. For those who don't know, they take pictures of passing wildlife. They store their photos on standard SD cards. The photos can also be downloaded via USB cable, as they have mini-USB ports on them.

Normally, to get the photos, I must either carry a laptop with me into the forest, which I don't like to do; carry the SD cards back to home to my PC, then carry them back (which is a lot of walking); or keep a double set of SD cards to swap out in a single trip (too expensive).

When I got my Android phone, I thought the problem was solved.

When I search for USB card readers for Android, all I find is readers to put my phone's micro-SD card into for reading on PC.

And I cannot find any kind of a cable that will connect my phone directly to the game cameras (mini-USB to mini-USB).

Does anyone know where I can get an SD card reader that will plug into my phone to read SD cards? Or a mini-USB to mini-USB cable?

I have been trying to do this exact same thing. Has anyone tried this product and does it work? I tried "rigging" up a system that would do this, but it didn't work. I have an HTC EVO. The setup I tried went: Evo-factory provided cable (micro usb, cable, male usb), female usb, spliced cable, female usb, ending with male usb on the card reader. After researching, I decided it would not work on Android because the usb on the phone will not "host". I ended up ordering a zoomIt card reader for Apple iphone/itouch since my kids have an itouch, but have not received it yet. Any experience with either the zoomIt or the Kingston USB 2.0 microSD Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-MRB (for Android)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones