• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using unactivated VZ S6 in Ireland with Vodafone IE SIM

Hi,

I'll be buying an unactivated VZ S6 (without a plan) from BestBuy and taking it straight home with me to Ireland for a few months; I will not be activating it on the VZ network at all.

1) Will I be able to use an Irish Vodafone IE SIM in the phone straight out of the box -- do I need to activate it over VZ first?

2) Will I be able to receive at least 3G?

Any info appreciated.

I think you've got to get it unlocked and released by Verizon, otherwise it just won't accept a SIM that isn't Verizon's. Sure we've had posts along these lines before.

You can check network compatibility for 3G etc. with willmyphonework.net.

An expat colleague of mine is using a Verizon HTC One on China Unicom, but I believe she fulfilled her Verizon contract or paid the ETF, before coming to China with it.

Reactions: Aaron Matthews
Upvote 0
I think you've got to get it unlocked and released by Verizon, otherwise it just won't accept a SIM that isn't Verizon's. Sure we've had posts along these lines before.

You can check network compatibility for 3G etc. with willmyphonework.net.

An expat colleague of mine is using a Verizon HTC One on China Unicom, but I believe she fulfilled her Verizon contract or paid the ETF, before coming to China with it.

Thanks for the reply. I have read from numerous different sources that Verizon phones are factory unlocked. Additionally, the S6 does have GSM capabilities - which every Irish network is based upon. Now, I have heard of SIMs being rejected due to contracts not being paid off completely. However, the device I'm buying is not attached to any plan or contract at all - that is to say I am buying the phone full retail price. Cheers for the info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones