• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Access settings through a terminal emulator or script

nkk

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2010
So I flash ROMs a lot (big surprise...) and I end up having to change a lot of universal (in all ROMS) settings such as changing click sounds, turning off lockscreen unlock sounds, etc. Is there a way to access and change these options through a script? My end goal would be to have a .sh script I could run or feed through gScript to do this, so every new flash I could just run my new_rom_setup.sh as opposed to spending 20 minutes hunting down all of these settings, realizing I forgot one, going back, etc.

Thanks,
Nkk

The problem would be that not all devs use the same version of each type of system app so trying to tweak a system setting from one rom to the next may be different. Do you know of any phones that have this capability?

I agree with VS that you would most likely need to make the script yourself and manually put it in your the rom zip prior to flashing or put it in the correct location on /system manually after flashing.

Upvote 0
No, I do not know of any way to do this anywhere. I was sort of hoping (perhaps a bit optimistically) that since these were in the normal system settings menu (i.e. I am not changing Gmail settings, I am changing system settings) and they were not ROM specific settings that they would be the same for all 4.0.3 bases. I cannot imagine making the script would be that hard, as once you get the command to access it you just put it in the script. In my mind, if this were implemented, the commands would probably be no more complex then (and this is purely made up):

settings vibrate_on_touch -o

or if they used plaintext files, a simple cat and sed would replace the lime (probably an =TRUE or =FALSE situation).

Or something similar.

Oh well, it was a good idea while it lasted.

Thanks,
Nkk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones