• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [HOW TO] Use a t-mobile sim in a Verizon Galaxy S3 running 4.4.2

rwreed

Lurker
Aug 6, 2012
I use Verizon at home, but when I travel internationally I use tmobile since they have a reasonable unlimited data plan which is slower, but far cheaper than verizon. I did this earlier this summer on a trip to France and Italy and it worked great. But after I got back I upgraded to KitKat (4.4.2) from 4.3. Suddenly not only did I need to re-root, making the APN work was no longer the same. I have been unable to find a how-to for 4.4.2, so I wrote this one for others who might have the same problem.

This walkthrough is for individuals who want to use the Verizon Samsung Galaxy s3 with KitKat 4.4 on the T-Mobile network. This is largely to have some limited data internationally. Data speed will not exceed 3g levels and often will fall significantly below this. The good news is when t-mobile tries to up-sell you the 4g buckets of data (1gb, 4gb etc) you can politely decline since you wouldn't be able to use it anyway.
Needed software

root - towelroot (towelroot.com)
es file
check root
supersu
apn manager ($1.39)
titanium backup pro (Not the free one, $5.99)

steps

Backup your phone before doing any of this. Note that rooting your phone will void your warranty.

You will need a t-mobile micro sim card for the phone from t-mobile.

With your verizon sim card still in the phone do the following.

root your phone. Go to towelroot.com and download the apk for kitkat. The os will complain about the danger of unofficial apks, tell it to install anyway.

run the app, click the “Make it ra1n” button. With all luck, boom, you are rooted.

run check root, to confirm you have root access.

install titanium backup pro, reboot afterwards.

download and install apn manager (it wont work yet)

long click on apn manager in titanium backup pro, and install as system process

run es file and turn on root explorer in the settings

find the apk for apn manager (ale.android.apnmanagerwithanimation.apk)

long press to select, click more options(three dots) select “move to”, move app to system/app-priv

Open APN manager, it will now work.

Go to the APN list, click + to add tmobile

use the info at http://apn-settings.com/t-mobile-apn-settings-step-by-step-configuration/

Last time I was there it looked like this:
Name: T-MOBILE
APN: epc.tmobile.com but you it’s an LTE Device, use: fast.tmobile.com instead
Proxy: <Leave in Blank>
Port: <Leave in Blank>
Username: <Leave in Blank>
Password: <Leave in Blank>
Server: <Leave in Blank>
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: <Leave in Blank>
MMS port: <Leave in Blank>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: <Leave in Blank>
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: Leave it to the Default one

click switch apn, setup switch between verizon and tmobile

shut down your phone, put in your t-mobile sim card

start the phone.

when phone is up, open apn manager

hopefully it will have selected the tmobile apn

you should be able text, call and use internet

Last edited:
Reactions: TALONTRAX

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones