• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon so called unlimited pre paid plan

ibrahim717

Lurker
Jun 13, 2010
I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Legend on Verizon pre paid. I switched over from Virgin moble, where I was running the ZTE Awe (which is a great cheap phone- Ive purchased 3- Im reckless and abusive to my phones) because I got fed up with being throtteled after 2.5gs. Now, I paid 129$ plus tax for the SGL and I bought a non refundable 50$ unlimited card. The card clearly states that it provides for unlimited talk, text, and data. And believe me I read the card thoroughly and asked the sales rep at Target about data limits. When I activated my phone I find out that Verizon did away with 50$ and 70$ plans and only has plans for 45$ which give you a wopping 512mg of data; and If you want to keep your phone alive you must pay 10$ for 1g after that. This is just plain wrong. I dont know how some one who lives on there devices which most of us do is supposed to survive. I feel like Ive been robbed and they still have a gun in my face because -its been 3 days, and Ive had to stop at every library and coffee shop I see in order to save the data that I purchased for emergencies link navagation loonking up much needed information and social media -work and play, and Ive still managed to use 370gs. And alot of that is form all the bloat they put on the phone thats runnning in the backround.( and that task killer that comes as a system apk is garbage doesnt even list all the apps that are running. Let alone kill em and keep then dead. But being that Im not a wealthy man I still have to make it all the way to next month.

And I must say the SGL sucks balls compared to the ZTE AWE which is only 59$ and is blessing for poor android lovers. The phone has too much bloat. And what is Samsung push services. Android already has a MMS push on the device. The screen is too small and when I try to disable apps I have all kinds of freezes and crashes.

Verizon will not get more then a month out of me. I think Im gonna have to go to MetroPCS and sell this phone to a crack head at the end of the month for beer money.

I need someone to tell me what system apks I can get rid of when I root this device. Which I havent done because I was thinking about taking it back and getting the Motorola pre paid that Verizon has at Target, but that phone has no sd card slot and comes with 4gs of built in SD, and you cant remove the battery or the phone will brick. ( I bought that one first and learned the hard way and had to beg the Target lady to exchange or I would have been out of 100$) Kudos to Target where I buy all my phones.

I just have to say just because we enjoy playing with and exploring, learning and tweaking the low end Android devices; and we dont like to be traped into a marriage with wireless provider that breaks promises and changes the rules at their descrition, we dont deserve to be treated like second class citizens. Poor people like to stay connected and explore the cyber universe too. We also use GPS, like to streem Pandora and Facebook. And we all dont have wifi in our homes. These devices are our life lines. I buy a new phone almost every month and I pay 50$ on top of that for services, which is about what I was paying at Sprint for truly unlimited web unthrotteled talk 1500m and unlimited text.

This data crisis thats going on (or thats what they make it seem like) is getting out of hand. Their cutting our data when apps and updates and content are getting bigger. Not to mention the qualcom geo fencing and constant location and usage data real that your collecting with and without our knowlege, with apks we cant shutdown without voiding our warranties or bricking our devices. Those system apk are getting complex and super effective which adds to the overall usage on the towers its not just us.

I understand that it takes time to build up infastructure to keep pace with usage, but the big guys came up with this plan to try and change human behavior, which naturally is to grow and expand and increase in effiency, to forcing us to decrease our usage and slow down; which decreases productivity in a society that is increasing its dependence on hand held devices which is in all parties best intrest to keep fully connected more and more. Because this data has important and dynamic value with vast implications. This is all so you can manage your innadequate infustructure which had failed to keep up with demand and the ever increasing software processes. And your doing this by charging us more money for less service; and making Comcast, Centry Link and Starbucks pick up the slack. They promised us unlimited. Figure out how to give us unlimited. Ill pay 70 bucks to get my issue, but I want unlimited no throttle I got stuff to do. And who ever does this that's who is gonna get my money and my loyalty month after months.

I was very excited to experiance what Verizon had to offer and Im very dissapointed with the options that they offer. And I feel disrespected by your audacity to expect me to live off of 512mg a month.

I would definitely switch to a different carrier for your usage. MetroPCS or Cricket would work.

Their cutting our data when apps and updates and content are getting bigger.

You can disable background data on an app by app basis so they wont use your mobile data when you're not using them. Some phones might not have this option though.

1. Go to your phones Settings menu.
2. Tap Data Usage
3. Scroll down to the app and tap it.
4. Scroll down and tap to check Restrict Background Data.

For some apps you wont get some updates/notifications after after doing this when you're not using that app. Also I believe that only shows apps that have already used data so with a brand new phone there might not be many apps listed yet.

Or you can disable all background data > Settings > Data Usage > Menu > Restrict Background Data. If Restrict Background Data is turned on here you wont have the option to disable it for each app as described above. There is also an option to turn off Auto Sync Data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones