• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Recording FUBAR - Samsung's Biggest Mistake?

When I first picked up my Galaxy s7 Edge on Sprint, I wrote a post about poor quality, lack of stability, and a lot of people told me I was imagining it, or put it down to YouTube. Now watch this...

That is a video I took in FHD60 (i.e. 1080p and 60 frames per second) - skip forward to 8 seconds. Unacceptable isn't the word. It's not usually quite this bad, other less severe samples are available on my YT channel, but this is one that is clearly irrefutable.

This one is 4K. Not as bad on the face of it, but the weird motion blurring and blockiness present is ...well, it doesn't feel very 4K. I also experience some skips/frame drops when filming in this mode.

I took approx 130 10-30 second videos over the weekend and skipping is present in most of them. I've even got to the point where I try and film everything twice (panning across a landscape) so i can hopefully minimize the likelihood of skipping.

This is my second S7 edge, after the first one developed a dead pixel within the first 2 weeks. I've updated the firmware to G935PVPU2APD3.

From what I've read online in forums, one user claimed that on a live chat , Samsung are refusing to admit it publicly, but there is nothing they can do to improve it. I believe this is a problem mainly with the US Snapdragon 820 chip - but I dunno, it could be an issue with the International version too - either way, I'm not happy but it looks like we have to put up with it.

Last edited:
Yikes! I have a S7 but not the Edge. I don't think there is any difference in the (US) cameras between the two models. I'm not having any of those issues. All the videos that I've taken are smooth as silk. I haven't taken any from a moving vehicle tho. I can image how disappointing this is. Is it too late to try a 3rd camera? Maybe the non Edge model this time if you're not stuck on having the Edge? Do you have any friends with the S7 (either model) that you can compare videos with?
BTW, what is FUBAR?

Upvote 0
Yikes! I have a S7 but not the Edge. I don't think there is any difference in the (US) cameras between the two models. I'm not having any of those issues. All the videos that I've taken are smooth as silk. I haven't taken any from a moving vehicle tho. I can image how disappointing this is. Is it too late to try a 3rd camera? Maybe the non Edge model this time if you're not stuck on having the Edge? Do you have any friends with the S7 (either model) that you can compare videos with?
BTW, what is FUBAR?

I'm working with sprint and samsung at the moment, but they just keep telling me to do the usual steps like cache wipe...I don't know anyone else with the phone, sadly...

Upvote 0
Not to comment on your problem coz I'm getting error on trying to play but, I don't think you know what FUBAR means.

F-ed up beyond all recognition. That's how I'd describe the clips of video I'm getting from the s7. The last time I owned a phone with video recording this poor was a Motorola C975 back in about 2003 back when I lived in the UK

Upvote 0
F-ed up beyond all recognition. That's how I'd describe the clips of video I'm getting from the s7. The last time I owned a phone with video recording this poor was a Motorola C975 back in about 2003 back when I lived in the UK
I was under the understanding that FUBAR is beyond all repair. Haven't had a chance to take a video on a moving vehicle, never had a chance at all ever. Never thought to try it, so I can't make a comment on the second video. That's all I get to see. I'm getting error on trying to play on the first video. So I can't see the problem. Well I can't even see the video at all so yeah. Maybe you can reupload it somewhere?

Anyway, from the second video, while I can't comment on quality, it looks like a software issue anyway, hopefully addressed in later updates. Failing that a third party software probably for the mean time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones