• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] To root or not to root that is the question...

Kasenomateru

Android Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2013
I've just gotten this phone and I wasn't sure I wanted to root my phone or rather if I am ready to root it because it's a brand new device I just got. I know there is really no custom roms yet but I also want the ability to move apps to my sd card but you need to be rooted for that. I kinda wish I had a decision to make lol. Is there any other benefit of rooting this device besides be able to move apps to sd card?

It won't hurt to root to use link2sd. If you receive a update notification you can still update. It's not until you change your recovery from stock to ClockworkMod Recovery (cwm) will it break the Virgin Mobile software updates. You don't need to switch to cwm to use link2sd. Just beware that if you download and install an app that requests root, it may be malicious. If you do decide to use root required apps, make sure it's well known with a good review to be on the safe side.

Your superuser app will ask you to give permission to grant root access. You choose when to allow and not allow.

If you are scared, I would recommend Getting setup to use the Unbrick Guide. Run it at least once. If you are ever in need, it's good to be prepared.

Upvote 0
If you could pull the aboot and recovery images from your phone and pm me a dl link i would know better what is happening.

Idk I've had to run the flash tools to unbrick the phone 5 times already so I'll just keep root to use with link2sd and aparted. Lg said that it's google's fault for removing the apps2sd in jellybean but they put it back in kitkat. Hopefully they'll release 4.4 to this device and vm pushes the update out

Reactions: gherkaul
Upvote 0
Idk I've had to run the flash tools to unbrick the phone 5 times already so I'll just keep root to use with link2sd and aparted. Lg said that it's google's fault for removing the apps2sd in jellybean but they put it back in kitkat. Hopefully they'll release 4.4 to this device and vm pushes the update out
I know from your previous posts that you're going to wait awhile. I would just like to have the images as of right now, rooted only. I can figure out a lot from those two images and I'm curious as to what's at issue here with some of the vm-f3's. The fact is they should be no different then the two on mine. Of course the recovery you have now is stock but I have the image to compare it with. All I can do from my end is speculate on some of these problem. I'm not there to see it actually happen so I have to start checking things off the list, beginning with aboot & kernel back to the system itself. If your interested send me a pm, no problem if you decline.

Upvote 0
I know from your previous posts that you're going to wait awhile. I would just like to have the images as of right now, rooted only. I can figure out a lot from those two images and I'm curious as to what's at issue here with some of the vm-f3's. The fact is they should be no different then the two on mine. Of course the recovery you have now is stock but I have the image to compare it with. All I can do from my end is speculate on some of these problem. I'm not there to see it actually happen so I have to start checking things off the list, beginning with aboot & kernel back to the system itself. If your interested send me a pm, no problem if you decline.

Okay I'll do it but I am not home at the moment and I know I can do this all on my phone it's just faster with my laptop.

Reactions: gherkaul
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones