• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] VM LS720V7 - Updating, Rooting, and Unbricking

Which zip do I download? LS720ZV7_upgrade.zip, Odexed_Stock-LS720V7.zip or Deodexed_Stock-LS720V7.zip?

That depends on how your F3 is set up. If you're on V6, rooted, have removed a lot of the preinstalled software, and don't want to spend time rebuilding your F3 you need the upgrade zip.

If you want to start from scratch with V7, then the other zips are fine to use. Remember to wipe /system /boot /data /cache /sd-ext and dalvik cache before flashing.

You can also use the unbrick method if you want the cleanest path to upgrading with V7. It's also best to use this if your phone has soft bricked.

Whichever method you use, don't forget to use towelroot to reroot the F3, and upgrade CWMT to the latest version. Don't forget to make a nandroid backup before upgrading!

Upvote 0
Which zip do I download? LS720ZV7_upgrade.zip, Odexed_Stock-LS720V7.zip or Deodexed_Stock-LS720V7.zip?

Anyone is fine. The upgrade is to switch from v6 to v7 if your getting the over the air update notification. It will allow you to keep everything you have installed. Just flash the update zip. > For this thread, flash the update.

On the other hand, the other two are stock roms. If you want a clean start, wipe data/factory reset and then advanced > wipe dalvik cache, then flash rom. It would be the same as if you just bought the phone. > http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-sprint-optimus-f3-all-things-root/844114-rom-stock-vm-stock-roms-4-1-2-a.html

Upvote 0
I have a lg optimus f3 virgin mobile v7. Im trying to root it and i cant..ive downloaded towelroot and it says its successfully rooted but when i download supersu and try to update the binaries it says installation failed...ive tried resetting my phone and trying again but same thing occurs. Please help!
Have you tried a different super-user app? There are several at the Playstore. See if the same thing happens. Be sure and install busybox as well, you can find an installer app at the Playstore too. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I am getting the same thing: E:Error in /external_sd/LS720ZV7_upgrade.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I am on V6.

It wont work for v5. As for the status 7 error, something is conflicting with something you have installed. I suggest flashing the stock rom in both cases. Wipe before flashing.

The servers down at the moment. Ill fix it when i get home from work.

Upvote 0
I dont know what i should do...i just want to be able to put apps on my sd card...anyone know if the f3 will get the newest version of android..ik that supports it

Nothing 100% solid on that. Only rumors that this phone is getting the kitkat update. We are however have a work around but since you're not familiar it will be difficult to understand how to do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones