• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

virgin mobile to net10?

nbnesen

Jun 6, 2012
Currently both my wife and I are using virgin mobile. We both use the 45$ plan which is about 90$ total for the both of us. Actually more closer to 100 after fees. We have been considering switching to a new service as sprints network here is not the greatest, it works but is nit the greatest. We hit 2 bars of 3g if we are lucky. Usually everything works fine, hhiwever there are a lot of times we can't even get a hold of eachother. It will go straight to voicemail. We considered going to straight talk because we could run off at&ts network which is much better here plus get more for the same price we pay now. There is no T-Mobile service here at all. Well then I was reading and noticed all the at&t Sims were no longer being sold unless I wanted to spend a fortune on eBay for one. Or I was reading I could get a net10 sim for straight talk. Well I wasn't trying to go through a bunch of hoops just to get something to work when what I have now does us fine. So I stayed with virgin mobile. Well we also wanted to switch because not only are we getting tired of sprints service but I'm getting tired of waiting around for some better phones. I use the evo 3d right now and they have yet to come out with something that is worth upgrading too and I been using this phone for close to a year now. I'm getting bored. So we thought with straight talk and there bring your own phone option we would have a wide selection of good new phones. Well as I stated we decided to skip on that because we didn't want the hassle. Well now I'm seeing commercials for net10 with a 50$ plan and add a second line 40 with unlimited. Which yes I know its not truelly unlimited which is fine because we don't use much data and we are usually connected to are WiFi when we do. Plus I'm seeing if you have automatic payments then Thays another 5 taken off. So that would be 85 total before taxes. Plus they have a bring your old phone option which is the big seller for both of us. However in my research I am seeing people are having problems with apn settings and there phones not fully working right. if I know I can easily get them to work then I am willing to deal with that and make the switch. However I'm not a phone expert by far but I do know generally what I'm doing. So I don't know, just don't want are phones to not work and have wasted the money. I'm looking to get a HTC one x to use and my wife would be thinking either an iPhone 4 or above or a galaxy s3. Is it worth the switch?

I also have the HTC EVo 3D, from vm too and am satisfied with it. Particularly not with the carrier though. I think you should go for the switch, better phones, and probably better service. However, if you're switching to net10, you could just switch to Verizon directly. after all, net10 mainly uses verizon. You have a better selection of phones there. Depending on your zipcode, net10 will use different carrier signal. Go for what you think is best.

Upvote 0
Now that I look into it, not only does it matter on your region but also your specific device:
AT&T: LG L35G Optimus Logic, LG Optimus Extreme, LG Optimus Ultimate, Samsung Galaxy Discover, Samsung Galaxy S II, ZTE Merit
Verizon: Huawei Ascend Y M865C, LG Optimus Dynamic L38C, LG Optimus Showtime, LG Optimus Zip L75C, Samsung Galaxy Proclaim S720C, Samsung Galaxy S Showcase S950C, UNIMAX MAXBravo
Sprint: Samsung Galaxy Precedent, LG Optimus Black, LG Optimus Q, LG Optimus Quest, LG Optimus Net, Huawei Ascend II, Motorola Defy XT

And it mostly Verizon, T-Mobile, and At And t. They do have sprint and other smaller services. Based on your phone and region, wherever, they'll try to get you the best signal coverage.

Please thank^^^ Your welcome

Upvote 0
Id love to go with verizon, could be wrong but I believe they have good coverage here. Id have to check. But yes, much better selection of phones. Is love to get the droid DNA. I'm an HTC guy. However I thought net10 was only att and T-Mobile?

I also have the HTC EVo 3D, from vm too and am satisfied with it. Particularly not with the carrier though. I think you should go for the switch, better phones, and probably better service. However, if you're switching to net10, you could just switch to Verizon directly. after all, net10 mainly uses verizon. You have a better selection of phones there. Depending on your zipcode, net10 will use different carrier signal. Go for what you think is best.

So in other words, a HTC one x, iPhone or s3 won't work on net10?
net 10, just like straight talk uses all the major carriers depending on your location.
If you have a good att coverage area then you can use att sim, and put it in any unlocked or att phone.
So yes the htc one x or iphone or s3 would work.

One big problem with using net 10 with sprint or verizon though is you can not bring your own phone, nor can you use a sprint/verizon phone on with them. You would only be able to use a net10 cdma phone.

Just like you can not use a sprint phone on vm. Unless they have changed their rules recently.

If you get the htc one x for att you should be able to use it on net 10 without all the apn problems so many have experienced. Not saying you wont as well, just think a att branded phone will have an easier time as it will be running on att networks.

Upvote 0
Ok, I fully understand that. Sounds like making the switch will be are best bet. While I love the evo 3d I'm ready to upgrade and have somethin new as my wife is. Plus my wife talks a lot and the 1200 minutes isn't enough for her.. so we will save a tad and be better off. Thanks for the input guys.

Upvote 0
I found a note 2 I'm thinkin about pickin up but it says the phone is rooted. What exactly does that mean and will that effect using it on net10 at all? Kind of a lot of.money to spend without knowing for sure.
Rooted has nothing to do with using on network.

Easiest way to explain rooting is like a computer using as administrator. Full control over what goes on.

Upvote 0
Ok cool, I've done research and even net10 themselves messaged me explaining what it is and explained it will still work fine as long as its a att or T-Mobile compatible phone or a unlocked gsm phone. I ended up buying my wife and I both the S3. However again, mine is rooted and hers is not. I thought that was impressive that net10 themselves was willing to private message me on here to explain... Twice. Thanks, only encourages me to make the switch even more so.

Upvote 0
Was just thinking, I was told since it is rooted that there are no garentees that updates will still come as they should... Is there a way to like "unroot" the phone and make it back to fully stock they way it came if I decided too?
Most likely there is a way to go back to unrooted, however you will have to check the specific phone sub forum for that method.
also its unlikely you will need to. Most phone developers will take the new update and make it a recovery flashable rom so you can keep root and have it updated too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones