• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Visual Voicemail not working? Try...

For several weeks I had a problem with the app not working. I received voicemail notifications, but there was always a problem getting the messages to visual voicemail so I could read them. I cleared cache and data, restarted... nothing helped.

After spending nearly an hour with Verizon tech support, we finally identified the culprit:

VPN!

I turned off VPN and left myself a message using the Darling Bride's phone. Works great! So I have excluded the voicemail app from the VPN. I keep forgetting about that thing!

For several weeks I had a problem with the app not working. I received voicemail notifications, but there was always a problem getting the messages to visual voicemail so I could read them. I cleared cache and data, restarted... nothing helped.

After spending nearly an hour with Verizon tech support, we finally identified the culprit:

VPN!

I turned off VPN and left myself a message using the Darling Bride's phone. Works great! So I have excluded the voicemail app from the VPN. I keep forgetting about that thing!
Mine always pops up but never get the messages either... Hmmm... How can I open it up?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

VPN!

I use Express VPN pretty much all the time on my phone, and I've had to exclude a few apps from it though. Specifically some Chinese apps like WeChat, AliPay, TaoBao, Merchant's Bank, Jinan Subway, DiDi, Baidu Maps. If I have WeChat going running through my VPN, my Covid QR code and vaccination status doesn't show.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mine always pops up but never get the messages either... Hmmm... How can I open it up?

There should be an app called Voicemail. If you have visual voicemail, you should be able to read them in that app - as well as listen to them, delete them, etc.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
There should be an app called Voicemail. If you have visual voicemail, you should be able to read them in that app - as well as listen to them, delete them, etc.
Saids:

"Visual voicemail:
The Device is unbalbe to start the set up process. Please check yourconnection as Visual Voicemail needs a celluar data network to work proerly."
So turn on the data?

That did work. :) Okay now I have it set up, no inboxes.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones