• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VPN on Android Fire TV

I have an Amazon Fire TV box and I have a VPN service subscription (PIA), but I understand the Fire TV box doesn't allow the use of a VPN service. I have a BT Smart Hub router.

I have a laptop with an HDMI port so I suppose I could connect to the VPN with that and hook up the TV, but it's all a bit fiddly.

What are my other options? Would I need to buy another Android TV box that allows the use of a VPN connection?

Out of interest - how does your VPN work out as far as speed goes?
Are you happy with it... other than you can't use it on the Amazon fire proprietary hardware?

To be honest I haven't used it in anger much - It seemed OK when I tested it and did a speed check, but I haven't tried streaming video or anything like that yet.

Hmm, I am wondering what the point of my Amazon Fire TV box is - might be better to have a generic Android box that isn't locked down!

Upvote 0
I am wondering what the point of my Amazon Fire TV box is - might be better to have a generic Android box that isn't locked down!

Yes... unless you have an Amazon Prime account there seems little point in having one of their boxes.

A generic box is certainly more versatile for the end user... but once again - they are prone to failures if you don't get a name brand that you recognise.

(Having said that - after a few initial problems, my box has been working just fine for the last year or so.
Fingers crossed and touch wood and stick a rabbit's foot down my trousers!)
:)

Upvote 0
That box looks really good... and it also has a helluva a lot of good feedback.

Also - I notice that a lot of the negative feedback is from people who probably can't do a 9-piece jigsaw!

If you get it, let us know what you think.

UPDATE: I think that blue light would annoy me after a while... but there may be a setting to turn it off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones