• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VZW - Upgrading and Keeping UDP

W

Westaine

Okay, I know this question has been asked a million times, I know. I've been getting some conflicting information and I'm looking for an answer to a specific part of the process that I haven't been able to clearly find elsewhere.

I have 3 lines on my account. Line 1 has UDP, the others have TDP.
Line 1 is not eligible for an upgrade. Lines 2 and 3 are.
If I transfer an upgrade to Line 1, Line 1 loses UDP.
I had intended to upgrade Line 2, and when the phone arrives just put Line 1's SIM in the new phone and be happy. I was told that in doing this, it would be seen as a transferred upgrade, and Line 1 would lose UDP.

So my questions are these:
When New Phone arrives, do I need to put the SIM from Line 2 into the New Phone to activate properly, then put the SIM back into Line 2's old phone and Line 1's SIM into the New Phone?
Also, when upgrading this way, can I use Verizon's Edge upgrade to pay in monthly installments rather than pay the full subsidized price?

My UDP is gone, but I just did the same thing as what you are needing to do.
How it went.

1. Ordered a new upgraded phone on daughter's line #2
2. When it arrives do NOT turn it on. Do NOT open it up to remove SIM.
3. Call VZW and explain to them that you now have a new device that you want to activate on Line #1 (your UDP)

4. VZW rep pulls the SIM info, IMEI info off the ordered device, or just last week she asked me to read that info off the box it came in. They then program the VZW servers to accept that device as being registered to Line #1.

The fact that you ordered the upgraded device on Line #2 has nothing to do with the line that it gets activated on.

The fact that you ordered the upgraded device on Line #2 only means that you signed a contract for Line #2 that is now extended out 2 more years.

VZW is happy, you are happy, all ends well.

I have done this so many times, I cannot count that high. And, several times the Line 2, or 3, or 4, or 5 phone that I bought was activated on my Line #1 UDP back in the days when I still had UDP.

UDP in and of its' self has nothing to do with "paying for the upgraded phone".

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
My UDP is gone, but I just did the same thing as what you are needing to do.
How it went.

1. Ordered a new upgraded phone on daughter's line #2
2. When it arrives do NOT turn it on. Do NOT open it up to remove SIM.
3. Call VZW and explain to them that you now have a new device that you want to activate on Line #1 (your UDP)

4. VZW rep pulls the SIM info, IMEI info off the ordered device, or just last week she asked me to read that info off the box it came in. They then program the VZW servers to accept that device as being registered to Line #1.

The fact that you ordered the upgraded device on Line #2 has nothing to do with the line that it gets activated on.

The fact that you ordered the upgraded device on Line #2 only means that you signed a contract for Line #2 that is now extended out 2 more years.

VZW is happy, you are happy, all ends well.

I have done this so many times, I cannot count that high. And, several times the Line 2, or 3, or 4, or 5 phone that I bought was activated on my Line #1 UDP back in the days when I still had UDP.

UDP in and of its' self has nothing to do with "paying for the upgraded phone".

Okay, so am I not switching any SIMs around then? I'll just use the SIM that comes in the new phone AFTER calling VZW and registering the phone to Line 1?

In doing this, I won't lose my UDP, even though I'm getting a new SIM?

Upvote 0
the SIM card stays with the phone per the Tech Support folks, they just change the account registration for that SIM to match your new line #. I got into a pretty good discussion on that very point. She said leave it alone... (I was going to swap SIMs like you, she said no.) [once this happens, the SIM on the phone you were using is deregistered]

I can tell you, that once TS changed the registration to match the new line number, the phone just booted up and displayed the correct line # for that account. "it's magic" ;)

You can ask for verification, but it has never effected my account status.
You are not changing the account plan, you are only changing the device registered to that line #.

How you acquired that new device is immaterial. You paid for it by taking on a new contract on the other line you own.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Okay, so just so we're completely clear (This is the last time I promise!!!)
  1. Order phone for Line 2. Edge plan, discount, doesn't matter, just order it.
  2. I throw my phone into the proverbial lake with its SIM still in it.
  3. Call VZW tech support before turning on phone. "I got a new phone and want to activate it on Line 1. Here's the info!"
  4. They activate it. I turn it on with the new SIM in it. Everyone's happy. I still have my UDP.
Yes?

Upvote 0
Yes.

I know that the first time you go thru this, you are faced with "what if it don't work?" feelings.

My daughter has line #3, her phone contract ran out in December.
I called TS and told them I wanted to switch her upgrade to my line #2 ....
This is the 2nd time I have been thru this in the last 4 months.

Both times, VZW sent out the phone registered to the line it was upgraded FROM.

Had I simply turned off the old phone, and allowed the new phone to turn on and register itself Automatically, it would be on my daughter's line #3.... not a good thing.

My wife is line #2, her old flip phone was bad. I used the daughter's upgrade on Line #3 and ordered a new phone on Line #3 upgrade plan.

It arrived in the mail, I called up VZW TS and explained the situation.
TS: "No problem, just give me the IMEI numbers on the box"

I wait a while..... a long while....

TS: "Okay, now be sure your wife's phone is turned OFF"
Me: "okay, it is off"
TS: "Okay, now turn ON the new device"

and the new phone does all the bright cherry red images we are so familiar with... It makes noises and then it finally is ready to go.

TS: "Please call someone you know."
Me: "Okay, I will call myself because it will show up on my screen"

I dial up my number on the new phone, and sure enough, my phone gets a beep in my ear, I look at the screen and it shows the wife's photo and her number.

All is well, that ends well. The line #3 upgraded phone is now registered to Line #2.
My wife is happy, that makes me happy, and the daughter does not want a new phone. She is quite happy with the Windows phone she has.

I hope this helps your feelings of "not knowing how it will go".

John

Upvote 0
Oh, you have to use a separate phone to call TS, than the one you are going to assign the new phone to.

You do have your Contact List backed up right?

Backup your apps with Super Backup.

-or- if you still have your old device, and it sounds like you will, just connect both of them thru USB cables to the same PC and use Samsung Smart Switch to transfer every thing over to the new phone. * Smart Switch by Samsung

-or-

use AT&T Mobile Transfer to do the same thing, it works on any phone regardless of device, iOS or Android. This app makes sure all of your data gets on the new phone.
* AT&T Mobile Transfer - Simply works well

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for coming back and letting us/me know.

I have been wondering how it all went. And yes, the hardest part is getting past the damn computerized answering service.

I apologize for not giving you my "learned knowledge" there, I always enter '0' and then when it wants to know what phone number, or type of billing question, etc....

I always just say "Agent", occasionally I have to repeat that phrase, but normally just once will do it, it takes you straight to a human voice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones