• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Waking my LG Tribute and sound volume warning

I love my newly acquired LG Tribute from Virgin Mobile. However, I want to turn off screen tapping. That is, a couple of quick taps can turn on the phone from sleep. This is different from using the knock code; I don't use that. I still prefer using a pattern as the passcode for my phone.

I'd guess that LG's higher end models also have this feature. So, for the ten people (including myself) that have the Tribute, and others that have a recent LG phone... is there any way to turn this off? By the way, I don't see anything for development options for this phone at all, unless it's some hidden dialer code I don't know anything about.

I also would like to turn back on the initial warning about putting the sound volume up too high. I realized that it can act as a limiter to keep the volume level from going wonky. The dialog box goes something like 'Would you like to turn up the volume? Going beyond the set limit may cause hearing damage.' Click OK, and the volume limiter is turned off. I'm wary of having to factory reset the phone, but if I had to do that, I might be okay with it as I've had the Tribute just a few days. I could always use one of my backups if I needed to reset it. Again, maybe a dialer code could fix this, so I don't have to reset the whole thing. Having the limiter on can certainly save a little battery, as a user is discouraged from going too high with the volume.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thinking of moving to the Tribute. My Opt F3 is having power button issues. :thinking:

Besides tweaks you are wanting; what's your initial impression?

It's a really great phone for the money! I'm lucky to live in an area that has the Sprint Spark 4G. My 4G speeds are much better because of it. Should run a test later, when I can get to a spot that has the Spark. The neighborhood I live in doesn't have it... happens to be just a few miles away though :rolleyes: Also, the phone has no detectable lag. All the games I've run on it really run smooth. Even though the screen's res isn't high, it's still a great one to look at.

The only problem I've run into is the memory issue. 1.45 GB is available for programs, but I have been able to move enough of them to external SD. This is the classic SD method, with part of an app remaining in internal memory. I've installed 55 apps so far, with 550 MB of memory left (as I type this, that number goes up and down depending on cache). No force closes yet on my end since I've had the phone last Tuesday.

The phone doesn't take 64 GB cards in exfat. Was hoping it would. I had mine formatted by the phone itself, as a fat32 partition.

As far as the tweaks, I can live without them for now. I was mainly concerned about the screen tapping, but I've noticed that it has to be either a stylus or finger tip doing the tapping. It won't turn on accidentally in one's pocket or purse AFAIK.

Above all, battery life is great, considering that the battery is a 2100 mA one. Having a less powerful screen seems to help here. I have about 40-45% left after 15 hours of use. This will change over time, but right now, that kind of use reminds me of when I was actively using my LG Optimus V in the first few months I had it.

At the very least, I'd love to root one just to get Link2SD and Titanium on the phone. GL2SD would be great for this phone, as it has the CPU and a good GPU for gaming. For now, I run the big (1 GB+) 3D games on my Tab 4. That's a better screen to play on anyway, to catch all the detail.

EDIT: some of the preinstalled apps can be disabled. This includes the usual Google apps, like Play Games and Newsstand. A few can also be uninstalled. Those are downloaded after activating the phone on the VM network.

Reactions: bkttk2
Upvote 0
Loaded the Ookla Speedtest app onto my Tribute. Here's what I have. I conducted these tests in Walnut, CA. That is the only spot I can get to at the moment where I could use 3G, 4G and 4G Spark.

This one shows the highest speed I've gotten so far using 4G reception with VM in the LA area:

Screenshot_2014-10-31-11-36-491_zps874d86b3.png

I'm not sure if that's regular 4G or with the newer Spark network. Still, that's quite good, considering that VM apparently suffers from network congestion. Compare that to the 4G speeds I got before with the F3:

Screenshot_2014-10-06-16-12-281_zps2006a3cc.png

Yep, around ten times faster! I know people on other networks around here get faster 4G speeds, especially on Verizon. Still, if you're looking to upgrade to a newer phone on VM for under $100 that can get on Sprint's Spark 4G network, this is a great phone to have.

Not surprisingly, this is what I got for 3g:

Screenshot_2014-10-30-16-54-431_zps072a8842.png

This last one is my test using wifi at home (25 Mbits down \ 10 Mbits up). I don't have the fastest speed at the moment, but because this phone is FAST thanks to the quad core CPU, it's not really a problem. My streaming audio and video apps really work well (at least for a phone, I get similar wifi speeds with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch tablet). It seems to respond faster than my dual core laptop PC, LOL:

Screenshot_2014-10-30-16-52-141_zps5a14d203.png

Best $80 I've spent on a phone... even better than my decrepit F3. :D Speaking of which, I still am trying to recover a few items from that one, but the thing's otherwise fried. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones