• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What’s a good gaming mouse these days?

yadic

Jan 9, 2023
sorry if i posted the question on the wrong forums.
I currently have a Razer DeathAdder that I’ve been using since 2013 or 2014, but holding the right mouse

button has been flaky lately and also literally five minutes ago something in the mousewheel broke and now it

spins differently and fails to register any movement. My previous mouse was also a Razer DeathAdder.

Even though Razer is kind of a trash company and always has been, I really appreciate the ergonomics

(especially the size) of the DeathAdder and find the prospect of switching to a different mouse – almost all of

which are noticeably smaller or at least look smaller on a store shelf – a little daunting. So I figured I would

throw it out there for discussion: what gaming mice are we using these days, especially for the larger-handed among us?

sorry if i posted the question on the wrong forums.
I currently have a Razer DeathAdder that I’ve been using since 2013 or 2014, but holding the right mouse

button has been flaky lately and also literally five minutes ago something in the mousewheel broke and now it

spins differently and fails to register any movement. My previous mouse was also a Razer DeathAdder.

Even though Razer is kind of a trash company and always has been, I really appreciate the ergonomics

(especially the size) of the DeathAdder and find the prospect of switching to a different mouse – almost all of

which are noticeably smaller or at least look most expensive gaming mouse 2023 - hippo adviser blog – a little daunting. So I figured I would

throw it out there for discussion: what gaming mice are we using these days, especially for the larger-handed among us?
and thanks in advance for any help

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Your Razer DeathAdder is still rated real high.

I use to do a lot of online PC gaming when you could have your own server. We had a Raven Shield and a COD server. So I know how important your mouse is. Back then I used a Logitech G9 Laser mouse.

I see Logitech has a G502 X Lightspeed wireless gaming mouse now that is rated high.

Upvote 0
I used to do a lot of PC gaming back in the day as well, I think I have been in love with logitech forever ago, so highly recomended a really excellent ergodymanic mouse for whatever you do, as long as your hand can never get pain in the wrists, buy really curvy ones and never the flat out ones too :)

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze In that case: I was using a "gaming mouse" before it was cool. I used a Kensington trackball with programmable buttons. And I don't mean one of those mini-trackballs you hold in your hand. I mean a full-sized trackball that stayed on your desk. Best mouse I ever used! Once I get my desktop computer going, I'll start using it again.

Edit: Specifically, I used A Kingston Expert Mouse. Pictured here is the model from the 90s, the modern Expert Mouse has a scroll wheel.

375px-Trackball-Kensington-ExpertMouse5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
@ocnbrze In that case: I was using a "gaming mouse" before it was cool. I used a Kensington trackball with programmable buttons. And I don't mean one of those mini-trackballs you hold in your hand. I mean a full-sized trackball that stayed on your desk. Best mouse I ever used! Once I get my desktop computer going, I'll start using it again.

View attachment 165662
doesn't look very light weight. gaming mouse you dont really have a trackball.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

View attachment 165662

That's not a gaming mouse.

Upvote 0
Gaming mice are lightweight so you can move the mouse with minimal effort, right? In this case: You don't have to move the mouse, so the weight of the mouse doesn't matter. You roll the ball that's on the mouse, that's how you move the cursor!
the problem with that is you need your thumb for other things. most in fps games your thumb on a gaming mouse is used to shoot with. cant use the track ball and shoot at the same time. you might get away with using the keyboard and a trackball. but a traditional gaming mouse will not have a trackball.

edit: at least i have in the past i mapped the mouse so that my thumb is the shooter.

Upvote 0
the problem with that is you need your thumb for other things. most in fps games your thumb on a gaming mouse is used to shoot with. cant use the track ball and shoot at the same time. you might get away with using the keyboard and a trackball. but a traditional gaming mouse will not have a trackball.
Your thumb? This is not a mini-trackball! You don't use your thumb to move the ball, you use your palm.

Edit: Or you move the ball with your fingers (that's what I did), which still leaves your thumb free to click the primary mouse button.

Edit 2: Here's a picture of a hand on a Kensington trackball. As you see, the thumb is resting on the primary mouse button and ready to click/shoot.

fingertip-large.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your thumb? This is not a mini-trackball! You don't use your thumb to move the ball, you use your palm.

Edit: Or you move the ball with your fingers (that's what I did), which still leaves your thumb free to click the primary mouse button.
yeah sorry, i have a trackball mouse that i use on my desktop in which your thumb moves the ball. how sensitive is your mouse? can you adjust the speed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones