• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When will SG2 come?

It's a 4G phone, isn't it? A US Cellular rep told me they were "switching on" 4G in the first couple weeks of the new year (so, any time now). They said they were bringing out 4G phones shortly after, I assume after they test it internally to see that it works where it should.

It's gonna be a mixed blessing because not everyone will get 4G, but the 4G phones will drive the prices of the 3G phones down, so those of us who can't get 4G can get great deals on 3G phones. I've got my sights set on the Hero S and my wife wants the Merge (best Android device with a keyboard, she says she needs a keyboard).

Upvote 0
I have the Electrify now and it was 4G on Sprint. I have also heard that they will be having 4G coming in the 1st quarter.

Hopefully Jan or Feb the SGII will be released, I'll snag that baby up no problem. To be honest I thought that it wasn't even coming and gave up on it and then last week it was released that it would be coming to USCellular...awesome.

Upvote 0
I have the Electrify now and it was 4G on Sprint. I have also heard that they will be having 4G coming in the 1st quarter.

Hopefully Jan or Feb the SGII will be released, I'll snag that baby up no problem. To be honest I thought that it wasn't even coming and gave up on it and then last week it was released that it would be coming to USCellular...awesome.
I'm curious, have you heard any confirmation that the Electrify will actually run on 4G? I looked at Motorola's website, and they only said that the Electrify was 3G.

Upvote 0
SGS2 cleared FCC testing Friday, and it has no LTE. It's gonna be a 3G phone. It's also not the 4G phone that will be coming out in April. No word yet on when it will be coming.

Somebody or a group of people is going around trying to get Electrify and Hero S owners' hopes up that these devices will support 4G. This is not true. Neither device has an LTE chip in it. They were also not FCC approved for 4G. So if US Cellular snuck 4G in there, they would be in some really hot water. The closest thing they could do is release the Motorola Photon (Electrify with 4G, on Sprint) and the HTC Evo Design (Hero S with 4G, also on Sprint) on US Cellular and offer a trade-in program. But there is no possible way for current Electrify and Hero S handsets to connect to 4G. It is physically impossible. That's like saying AOL can enable gigabit Internet on a 56k modem. Aside from the absurdity, it's just not possible, and this is obvious to anybody with the slightest technical knowledge.

Upvote 0
I got an update. I thought I posted it here, apparently I just posted it at Team US Cellular. Sorry about that.

I went into my local US Cellular (corporate, not franchise) to ask about the SGS2, expecting to be shot down since it hadn't been announced yet. Not only did they not shoot me down, they offered to let me play with one. Their lead tech has one. I said no, I don't need to play with somebody's personal phone, I know SGS2's specs and Samsung's UI. I just wanted to know when I could lay my hands on my own. They said April. No "at the earliest" or "by". Just April, and that's all they knew. They seemed pretty sure of it, so I won't be expecting it, for my part, before then.

I also asked about sales while I was in there. They said they will probably be doing a BOGO thing for the week of Valentine's Day because that's what US Cellular did last year, but they didn't know for sure. Also on 2/1 they're supposed to be announcing a big tax rebate themed sale.

2/1/2012 is when I'm due up for an upgrade, but if they do BOGO for VD, I should wait for that. My wife's got her heart set on the Electrify. I kinda want the Hero S myself, but if it's "equal or lesser value free" as opposed to "buy two they're both half off", I might as well step up to an Electrify myself. The interface is kind of off-putting, but I hear somebody's porting CyanogenMod 9 to it (by way of the Photon, its 4G twin at Sprint). So it might be getting some ICS love before long.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones