• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Moto G do I buy to use on MetroPCS and choices 8GB /16GB LTE vs. HSPA+

Here we are, a few short weeks before the shutdown of the CDMA network in the North East. That happens on July 1st 2014 for those that still don't know.

I've been scouring the Net for weeks looking for the next phone to replace my trusted Motion. It's been to hell and back with me on a few occasions. Will I miss it sure, but there's no crying over obsolete networks.

I've discovered the Moto G and there seems to be a few models. Can someone explain to me which I would get to work with Metro's service, which is really now T-Mobiles network.

There's the Motorola Moto G - Universal 4G LTE - Unlocked - 8GB (Black) which is optimized to work on 4G LTE and supports 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) and 2G networks also.

Then there is the Motorola Moto G - US GSM - Unlocked - 16GB (Black) which states that it works on All GSM Networks including AT&T and T-Mobile. It further states that it is optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when operating inside the US. 3G coverage may be limited when roaming outside the US.

Is this as simple as a speed vs. storage issue? The 8GB version is faster on 4G LTE and the larger 16GB is only GSM /HSPA+??

I'm way over my head on this one... or am I?

Is there a huge speed difference? The 16GB is only $199 while the 8GB is $219. Is that because of the LTE?

I've given up on the One + One or more pricier LG G3 coming out before the deadline of June 30th. I've heard neither will make it out until at least August before the kids go back to school.

Can anyone PLEASE help me out on this one?

Dee, you always have sound advice and seem to know a bit about things like this. Help?

TIA

-SipDude

Reactions: mrnyjet
They both support T-Mobile's network so it's just a matter of HSPA or LTE and the size. If it was me I'd take the 16GB because HSPA is more than sufficient with speed.

I would think that 4G LTE would be the way to go and faster than HSPA+. Can I walk into a Metro store with an HSPA+ device and get it to work? I know I could go to a T-Mobile store and do that. (Don't want to as Metro's plans are $10 less a month on average.)

Thoughts?

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
I would think that 4G LTE would be the way to go and faster than HSPA+. Can I walk into a Metro store with an HSPA+ device and get it to work? I know I could go to a T-Mobile store and do that. (Don't want to as Metro's plans are $10 less a month on average.)

Thoughts?
it's faster but only time you'd really notice is when tethering or downloading a large file. My opinion the double the size is better. Metro's GSM/HSPA/LTE network is exactly the same as T-Mobile's

Reactions: SipDude and alfick3
Upvote 0
+1 what gman said above.

Thoughts?

I bought the 16 gig HSPA+ version and am happy as a kid in a candy store. I live in the Dallas area so have good coverage, although there are some areas that drop me to Edge. When I'm on HSPA+ I get some nice speeds. No where what I had been getting on LTE with my Motion, but I wanted the 16 gigs. I can browse the web, even watch videos without stutter. I think I'm getting between 4 and 9 meg as an average download speed.

To answer your question about walking into a metro store, yes. That's what I did. I didn't order the SIM kit when I ordered the phone, so I went into a store the next morning, after I got the phone. He did have to make sure of the apn, 'cause I didn't get data right way. I had voice but no data. Once he corrected the apn, I was good to go.

Go for the Moto G. Either way you go, I think you'll be very happy with it.

Reactions: SipDude
Upvote 0
Can I walk into a Metro store with an HSPA+ device and get it to work? I know I could go to a T-Mobile store and do that.

Yes, you can use either Moto G phone. MetroPCS uses the same network as T-Mobile - same towers, same coverage.

EDIT: looks like alflick3 beat me to it and answered that part while I was reading the thread.

Upvote 0
they sell 2 models of it. one has sd card support and lte but only comes in 8gb. the other is only hspa+ comes in 8 or 16gb and has no sd card support. you can also get the lte version in white or black the hspa version is only available in black. both support there different colored back plates and different cases though. specs wise besides the sd card support and the lte there identical phones. same processor same software same everything.

Upvote 0
they sell 2 models of it. one has sd card support and lte but only comes in 8gb. the other is only hspa+ comes in 8 or 16gb and has no sd card support. you can also get the lte version in white or black the hspa version is only available in black. both support there different colored back plates and different cases though. specs wise besides the sd card support and the lte there identical phones. same processor same software same everything.

What are the prices?

Upvote 0
I think I'm getting the 16GB model for $199. I'll miss the expandability of having a micro for additional storage but having room for Apps I think is more important. Besides, Everything is in the cloud these days. I just hope I don't regret not having the 4G LTE.

alfick3, you have one and are happy with it eh? Did you get it on Amazon? What kind of a wait was there if you did?

TIA

Upvote 0
I think I'm getting the 16GB model for $199. I'll miss the expandability of having a micro for additional storage but having room for Apps I think is more important. Besides, Everything is in the cloud these days. I just hope I don't regret not having the 4G LTE.

alfick3, you have one and are happy with it eh? Did you get it on Amazon? What kind of a wait was there if you did?

TIA

I bought mine directly from Moto. I ordered it on a Tuesday night (9 o'clock or so) and got it Friday afternoon. And yes, I'm tremendously happy with it.

I went with the direct from Moto 'cause I had a discount code, so I was able to get the 16 gig version for $40 off. I got the phone and a grip shell for less than the phone without discount.

Upvote 0
Damn! This discount code still any good??? I'm always looking at Retail-Me-Not for coupon codes and the like. care to share anything of the likes?

I may just order from either Moto or Amazon seeing they both ship from Moto directly it doesn't really matter I suppose.

-Sipdude
Nah, sorry. It was a one time use code. Back in January I heard about a friend's and family code and I was able to get one. I held onto it until May when I used it.

Upvote 0
your download speeds on hspa+ will be fine its the upload speeds and pings is where you really start to notice a difference. but neither are terrible on hspa+ and are more than usable. it really is a great device i have both cdma models and love em both. to bad the cdma ones only come in 8gb but it does support otg if you really need extra storage.

Upvote 0
Here we are, a few short weeks before the shutdown of the CDMA network in the North East. That happens on July 1st 2014 for those that still don't know.

I've been scouring the Net for weeks looking for the next phone to replace my trusted Motion. It's been to hell and back with me on a few occasions. Will I miss it sure, but there's no crying over obsolete networks.

I've discovered the Moto G and there seems to be a few models. Can someone explain to me which I would get to work with Metro's service, which is really now T-Mobiles network.

There's the Motorola Moto G - Universal 4G LTE - Unlocked - 8GB (Black) which is optimized to work on 4G LTE and supports 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) and 2G networks also.

Then there is the Motorola Moto G - US GSM - Unlocked - 16GB (Black) which states that it works on All GSM Networks including AT&T and T-Mobile. It further states that it is optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when operating inside the US. 3G coverage may be limited when roaming outside the US.

Is this as simple as a speed vs. storage issue? The 8GB version is faster on 4G LTE and the larger 16GB is only GSM /HSPA+??

I'm way over my head on this one... or am I?

Is there a huge speed difference? The 16GB is only $199 while the 8GB is $219. Is that because of the LTE?

I've given up on the One + One or more pricier LG G3 coming out before the deadline of June 30th. I've heard neither will make it out until at least August before the kids go back to school.

Can anyone PLEASE help me out on this one?

Dee, you always have sound advice and seem to know a bit about things like this. Help?

TIA

-SipDude
This might be a little late, I bought the moto g 4g white edition. Have had it for a few days I couldn't be happier with it to be honest. I get support for 4glte,hspa+,hspa,3g,2g,and edge I'm the Jacksonville Florida area.

Upvote 0
This might be a little late, I bought the moto g 4g white edition. Have had it for a few days I couldn't be happier with it to be honest. I get support for 4glte,hspa+,hspa,3g,2g,and edge I'm the Jacksonville Florida area.

the only thing i have against the lte version is they only offer it in 8gb. yes it has an sd card slot but google has made it a pain to transfer apps to sd on atock android. the nice thing is its easily rootable so you can fix this but not everyone wants to root. they should of offered a 16 gb lte model with sd slot for around 240. but can't complain to much it is a fantastic device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones