• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's waiting for the MILESTONE?

Stopped by the store I'm getting mine from when it comes in to see what accessories, cases, etc, they'll have and good news on that front. They have the media docks already in store, and theres a half dozen covers, one leather pouch and a one of the 'ruggedized' covers all available (at least its in their computer system). Plus Telus is giving away a free car mount, you just need to go to the website once you have your milestone and fill in the form.

Upvote 0
I got to play with one at the Telus store in Oakville yesterday. I noticed that it has "Google" on the back, and NO Telus branding, so I guess that makes it a "Google-branded" phone?

I wonder what that means for updates compared to Rogers & HTC, and/or if it means we finally get paid apps in Canada!?

Yea this stumped me. Although it says "with google" on the back Motorola Handles the updates. It also has Motorola's motonav on it making it not a google experience phone.

Upvote 0
The Milestone is a great phone to have here in Canada, almost as good enough as the iPhone. Homerun Battle 3d is an awesome game to have on the Milestone. Very addicting and fun and that game is also available on the iPhone. Which my buddy who has a Motorola Droid says the game on the Droid/Milestone looks much than the iPhone/iTouch. Wooooo droid rocks.

Upvote 0
Yea this stumped me. Although it says "with google" on the back Motorola Handles the updates. It also has Motorola's motonav on it making it not a google experience phone.

The updates may come through Motorola, but if there are no modifications to the ROM then you would be getting the updates as Moto received them from Google.

As for Motonav being installed, Motorola can surely pre-install any apps they want without changing the ROM, thus it's not really a "Motorola" phone, but a "Google" phone with motorola's apps pre-installed.

Compare it to the problems we had with Rogers and the HTC phones. Rogers had HTC customize the actual ROM, which meant that any update to the OS by Google would likewise need to be customized before being given to us. Since this costs them time and money, there is little to no incentive to do it.

If the Milestone's ROM has not been customized, then Motorola can just pass along the OS updates from Google without having to make any changes.

That's also what T-Mobile has done with the HTC phones. The G1 and MyTouch say "With Google" on them, and HTC refers to them as "google-experience" phones. When those US phones were updated to 1.6 (including the 911 bug fix) it was delivered by T-Mobile and HTC, not by Google, though it was a matter of passing along the update from Google. A T-Mobile rep made it clear in their forums that the update was coming from T-Mobile with the help of _HTC_. HTC used this "google-experience" difference as an excuse for not updating the Rogers HTC phones.

Upvote 0
The updates may come through Motorola, but if there are no modifications to the ROM then you would be getting the updates as Moto received them from Google.

As for Motonav being installed, Motorola can surely pre-install any apps they want without changing the ROM, thus it's not really a "Motorola" phone, but a "Google" phone with motorola's apps pre-installed.

Compare it to the problems we had with Rogers and the HTC phones. Rogers had HTC customize the actual ROM, which meant that any update to the OS by Google would likewise need to be customized before being given to us. Since this costs them time and money, there is little to no incentive to do it.

If the Milestone's ROM has not been customized, then Motorola can just pass along the OS updates from Google without having to make any changes.

That's also what T-Mobile has done with the HTC phones. The G1 and MyTouch say "With Google" on them, and HTC refers to them as "google-experience" phones. When those US phones were updated to 1.6 (including the 911 bug fix) it was delivered by T-Mobile and HTC, not by Google, though it was a matter of passing along the update from Google. A T-Mobile rep made it clear in their forums that the update was coming from T-Mobile with the help of _HTC_. HTC used this "google-experience" difference as an excuse for not updating the Rogers HTC phones.

The difference between motorola and htc is htc didn't sign pieces of the rom. So modifications have to be made before the roms are sent out to us

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones