• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why are O2 so CRAP for Android phones?

Jezston

May 29, 2010
I suspect this may have something to do with O2 being the prime iPhone retailer.

I like O2. I really do. Really good coverage, really good customer service, and they sell phones outright for WAY, WAY cheaper than other networks, like 25% cheaper. I guess because other networks just do not want you to buy phones outright. Example: HTC Desire -

I think its more down to Vodafone being very good at getting exclusive handsets more than anything. O2 also tend to announce handsets very late so I would hang on and see what happens.

Vodafone reception is also pathetically poor where I live so Im also looking for something Android from O2 in the next 2-3 weeks although size doesnt worry me so much coming from a HD2

Upvote 0
O2 sell several HTC phones, but most of them are WinMo or that weird other linux-based crap thing.

LOL, you do know that Android is linux based??

They only sell ONE phone that is Android - the Desire. NOTHING ELSE! (well, apart from the Dell Streak but that isn't a phone)

I got the streak as my primary phone and works pretty damm good now that I have worked out the software! The size was a little daunting at first but hasn't been a issue at all.

Good Luck with the hunt

Upvote 0
well o2 is now the exclusive UK HTC windows phone provider and so all their new HTC phones will be HD models. It's rumoured they probably won't be getting another HTC android phone after the Desire. They are probably never gonna have the Desire HD themselves. They are big competition for the exclusivity deal! You can get Android models from other suppliers and keep your o2 contract (say carphone warehouse). Disappointing for customers though. They are losing customers over this! poor decision

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones