• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi Calling Extractable?

SavageRobot

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2012
Wales
Hello,

I have posted this a week or so back but it was in my device specific forum and this I think is more of a general question, link to my original query is here.
Basically I want to unlock bootloader and root again as I have had my replacement back over a week now and I am clucking for root. I currently get Wifi calling on EE with their version of the firmware. I live in a pretty rural place and this is a REALLY handy feature. However, as I understand it this is baked into their version of the firmware so once I unlock the bootloader (G4 can't relock) I will be stuck without Wifi calling unless I flash back my first Nandroid, which will still be LP too (EE are verrrry slow at rolling out updates).
I wan't to know if there is any way (I am assuming almost definitely not) that there is an apk or setting I can extract and just flash in a modified ROM, stock or custom or if this feature will still be available somehow anyway? Before I got my replacement device I had the G4 with custom MM ROMs and wasn't aware that WiFi calling had been released for G4 yet (when I got my first G4 it was only available for iPhones and one of the Samsungs I believe but they have added a few more now) http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/getting-started-with-wifi-calling
It says there that it can only be used for devices bought direct off them so obviously must be in the firmware.
Waffling now

TLDR; As the title says, is there something can be extracted and injected into non EE firmware to allow Wifi calling, or does this need to be done at all?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones