• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi calling questions

JustRay

Aug 8, 2017
I have just enabled wifi calling on my A50.
Works (as far as I know.)
I know how to enable it as well as disable it.
I have also read about the pros and cons related to it.
So, all of those kinds of things I feel pretty good about.
But, I can't say that I understand it enough to explain how this will work in a practical sense.

Accordingly, I wonder if someone here understands enough about wifi calling so as to reply with an opinion as to how the following scenario will work..

Scenario 1:
Let's say I am at home, have an exceptionally strong wifi signal and have wifi calling enabled.
Now, my wife calls me from her phone (which is across town.)
Her phone does NOT have wifi calling enabled.
Will I receive her call over my wifi or cellular networks ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

from what i know when a calls comes thru to a tower and send the signal to your phone, it will determine if you phone is set to wifi calling and thus will send the call thru to the appropriate settings. on some phones it will determine automatically what is the best signal strength wifi or cellular and send the call accordingly. if you have a strong enough wifi strength then you will get the call via wifi.

at least that is how i understand the technology.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Just keep in mind your phone (and hers) get online connections in two ways -- one is WiFi and the other is cellular. They're both wireless signals that provide network access but each has a different source. A WiFi signal comes from your home router (which is itself getting online access from your ISP's broadband) while a cellular signal comes from a nearby cell tower (which is getting its online access from your carrier's cellular network).

So in your example, when your wife is calling you, it all has to involve signals over a cellular network on both ends. That's a given. The difference being her phone is using a cellular signal to connect directly with a cellular network, your phone is also connecting to a cellular network, but indirectly (the added path being a cellular network >> to your ISP's servers >> to your router >> then to your phone). And keep in mind, a WiFi signal has relatively limited coverage range, typically measured in feet (or meters). Conversely, a cellular signal has a coverage range much longer, typically measured in miles (or kilometers). On your end, using WiFi Calling is just how your phone is receiving the phone call, your home WiFi signal simply cannot extend far enough across town to work out.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
All new to me.
But EXACTLY what I wanted to learn. (I have been struggling for some time with how to ask the questions.)
I sincerely thank you for the information.

I wonder if you might be in a position to share your thoughts as to how texting and email would work if I have wifi calling enabled on my phone ?
Would both text and emails get to me the same way as you described telephone calls above ?
Or would things take a different path ?
And if I sent a text or email from my phone, how might both travel to the destination phone ?

Upvote 0
All new to me.
But EXACTLY what I wanted to learn. (I have been struggling for some time with how to ask the questions.)
I sincerely thank you for the information.

I wonder if you might be in a position to share your thoughts as to how texting and email would work if I have wifi calling enabled on my phone ?
Would both text and emails get to me the same way as you described telephone calls above ?
Or would things take a different path ?
And if I sent a text or email from my phone, how might both travel to the destination phone ?
yes texting is exactly like voice calls. in wifi calling your text will be sent and received via the internet.

your emails are internet only. it is not sent any other way.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones