• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi Hookup

Windchill

Oct 21, 2008
Hope I am posting this in the right place. Here is my question. I have my desktop hooked up ok, but I want to add a wireless router so I can use wifi on my G1. How do I go about this. My desktop is not wireless and I only have the one modem. I also have a linskys wireless router. Is there a way to hook it into my network and have it work my G1 and my Handheld compaq? The compaq I just ordered by the way. If you can help I would be very greatful. Thanks :)

you'll probably want to check out linksys' page for real setup instructions, but its really very simple.

the wireless router should also have a few ports you can plug a network cable into (one for the modem input, and usually 4 for the outputs). just unplug the computer from the modem, and plug the modem into the correct port on the wireless router, then plug a network cable from one of the other ports on the router into your desktop. look online for proper configuration instructions. you may need to configure some settings on the wireless router (user/pass, wifi settings, etc.) not sure what you are referring to when you say "handheld compaq" but i assume its another wifi device? it should be no problem to have a wired computer and multiple wireless devices connected to your router all at once

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones