• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

win2k on a late model machine

icomeanon

Jan 18, 2010
Northeastern Ohio
okay, so for class we have an assignment to install win2k on an hp dc7900 minitower. and get all the drivers, updates, etc. this is part of a multi-booting pc that was supposed to have 98, nt4, 2k, and xp. 98 install didnt finish due to memory error. nt looped when trying to access install disc. 2k installed, but we've run into a wall as a class.

the audio drivers DONT WORK. we tried using the hp drivers for the dc7800, but they blue-screen. as a class, we've tried over 50 drivers.

any thoughts?

Integrated High Definition audio with AD1884 codec

I hate win2k. I had to work on one yesterday, gave me a hell of a time. I tried isntalling a Verizon USB wireless internet adapter. It would show the installer, and it would install but would NEVER find the driver for the adapter itself. Even when pointed at the drivers folder within the installer folder itself. I tried downloading the latest version of the installer too. No luck. It said on the packaging that it worked with Windows 2000.
:) I convinced her to buy a Windows 7 laptop by HP. When I installed it, it recognized the adapter automatically. (PlugNPlay)

Anyways, have you tried audio drivers for a computer that originally came with win2k? Who knows maybe they'll work.

Upvote 0
yes. i personally have an armful of watches, a giant clock hanging from my neck on a gold chain that'd hold an elephant, and my coveralls are drawn all over in permanent marker. i also watch saved by the bell every morning. and fresh prince.

seriously? just need some help for this blasted class, what do you care about what we're covering or why? 2000 may be almost dead but its still used here and there. not like xp, which is prevalent, but still. and 3.x through 98 are all of the same basic architecture that xp-win7 is built on, except xp-win7 also have NT architecture mixed in. its not like the prof is gonna go "well, you dont have to do the lab", even though he didnt bother to try and see if it was even possible before assigning it.

basically, if you have something constructive, please share. if you're just trolling because you have nothing to do during/after work/school, go get a real hobby. i don't have the patience to feed the trolls, between work and these classes i have found more than enough things that annoy.

Upvote 0
yes, its enabled. and yes, preemptivelly, the sound actually works. we do everything on removable hard drives, since these computers are used by other, less technically inclined (read 'technically illiterate') students during the rest of the time. the internal, regular HD is XP and we've checked all the machines ourselves, everything works. I don't know the chipset

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones