• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WTF is it with MotoBlur!?!? (rant)

headbanger51

Feb 25, 2010
So with the Bionic coming out it apparently will come with the nauseatingly horrible MotoBlur...and with a locked bootloader no less. Now I just read on Droid-Life that the Xoom may very well come with MotoBlur as well. You'd think Motorola would get the hint at the uber-excitement in the blogosphere when the rumormill was initially suggesting heavily that the Xoom would be an android experience unfettered with Motorola's bulls^&t.
Does Motorola's android dev team even realize that there is such thing as android-centric blogs and forums and that no one...NO ONE I've ever read from thinks MotoBlur is anything but annoying at best and utter dogs^&t at worst (the majority).
Why...WHY does Motorola seem hell bent on ruining all their potentially superior devices by locking them down to force its customers to use its vomitous "enhancements!?!?!!"

It's maybe not so bad -

Correction from Motorola: No Plans for MOTOBLUR on the XOOM | Android Phone Fans

Motorola Apologizes For PR Gaffe, Promises Better Bootloader Policy | Android Phone Fans

Motorola just might be getting it, after all.

Their next smart move would be to make their new super phones pure Gingerbread, to complete with the Nexus S - and a handy disk that lets smartphone newbies go to the web and download Motoblur if they so choose.

If that dies, they'll know they can drop the ongoing Motoblur investment.

Surprisingly - the world is made up of all types, and no doubt some like Motoblur - just as I like Sense.

Upvote 0
It's maybe not so bad -

Correction from Motorola: No Plans for MOTOBLUR on the XOOM | Android Phone Fans

Motorola Apologizes For PR Gaffe, Promises Better Bootloader Policy | Android Phone Fans

Motorola just might be getting it, after all.

Their next smart move would be to make their new super phones pure Gingerbread, to complete with the Nexus S - and a handy disk that lets smartphone newbies go to the web and download Motoblur if they so choose.

If that dies, they'll know they can drop the ongoing Motoblur investment.

Surprisingly - the world is made up of all types, and no doubt some like Motoblur - just as I like Sense.

I sincerely hope you're right that Motorola is getting it. Read about the PR "gaffe" -- still shows what kind of idiotic thinkgroups and groupthink is alive at Motorola. In an ideal world, that gaffe might just wake motorola up. And I think your idea is an excellent one. I'd love it if they implemented that. Or if they had it come with motoblur but just left it unlocked for devs to create their own roms.

And btw...motoblur was the dealbreaker for me on the Xoom. I'll pay the hefty reported price for it (and it will likely be subsidized IMHO, making it cheaper), but I won't go near it if it has motoblur.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones