• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Your Speedtest Results

Droidula

Android Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2011
I don't know if this is a network issue in my area or something else, but my data speeds are ridiculous (in a bad way). I get these speeds when I am driving around too, so it can't be a small area either. What speeds are you all getting? This is for 3G, not 4G, since I can't pick up 4G in buildings here anyway.

2012_07_26_17_21_28.png

3g for me is usually between 200-300
4g varies greatly for me with lows around 400 and highs 15k but they usually average between 5k-8k with pings around 100

i dont really care about what scores i get since i still cant stream netflix in hd no matter how high i score.at least it rarely buffers in non hd so i really cant complain since its so cheap

Upvote 0
Wow, I wish I had the speeds that some of you are getting. I called tech support, none of their steps work. They want to do a factory reset, but I want to do a titanium backup first, so I said I'd call back.

Do you have a WiFi connection you can test to make sure its not something with the rest of the phone?
I do, but I'm not at home at the moment. However, I always connect to wifi when I get home, and my internet is very speedy when connected. When I get home later I'll do a speedtest on wifi.

Upvote 0
I'm unable to do more speed tests, because for some reason, when I try to use the app, it says "network communication issues." I tried reinstalling the app, but it still doesn't work. So I can't give exact speeds for what I'm getting now, but, at least at the moment, my internet has been fixed.

I don't think that I'm getting the really high speeds that some of you are posting, but quick enough that things load pretty fast in the browser and in the play store.

With my speeds under 50 kbps as I posted a screenshot of earlier in this thread, things were crawling. Updating a 4-6 MB app in the play store took me at least 15 minutes.

But now, I seem to be getting better speeds again.

What did they have you do?
Before a FDR, I would update profile (##CLEAR#) and clear caches first. Putting everything back after a FDR is a pain!
The typical ##clear, update PRL and profile. She had me delete all cookies and cache from my browsers, and I deleted the data from the play store as well. Then on her end, she refreshed my service, and restarted my data. Still, nothing. She then said she was contacting another branch of the support- I wish I knew which, but her volume was low and I could barely hear what she was saying. They tinkered with my account settings. Nothing. At they point she wanted me to do the factory reset, and said they would try something else after I did it, but I wouldn't until I had a chance to titanium backup. So I said I'd call back after I'd done that.

After I hung up, I restarted the phone again, and turned off fast boot so I could start the phone in recovery mode. I had just wanted to make sure that I could do that without being by a PC, so I could factory reset without being home. (I'm hoping I don't forget at some point that doing a reset through the menus if you're rooted would be a problem. O.O ) I then rebooted through that menu.

When I tried speed test ten minutes later, everything was working again. I think it gave me a reading of 500-600 kbps. I tried it a few more times after that, and the speed wasn't that high again, but downloads in the play store were decent again, as was loading through the browser.

I read that the fast boot option is kind of similar to your computer going into hibernate mode. It saves everything to the disk so it can reboot more quickly. Maybe turning that off and rebooting through recovery cleared some issue? Then again, I did a battery pull, which should clear everything too, so I'm not sure.

In any case, something worked. Either that, or something the guys she called did on their end, and it just took 15 minutes to take effect. I'm going to call in the morning/afternoon and see if I can find out what they changed on my account, in case anyone has similar problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones