• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ZenFone with memory issues?

Paultx

Apr 27, 2019
I have this Asus ZenFone Live L1 ZA550KL (ASUS_X00RD) that behaves in a way I've never seen before with other Android smartphones I've used.

I owned a Samsung Galaxy S3, a Motorola G4 and even an Asus ZenFone 2 in the past. All entry to intermediate level gadgets. This ASUS_X00RD seems to have some kind of memory problem.

For instance, I open Gmail, start to read an email and click on a link in it, I go to a web page that link opens. When I go back to Gmail, it kind of refreshes itself, the screen turns white and only then its content starts to appear again.

Another example: I'm playing WordBrain 2 and decide to open a browser, check some sites, etc. When I go back to the game, it reloads as if it's newly open and doesn't go to where I was playing, but to the starting page of the game.

Any ideas what is this and how to fix it? TIA.

Many new devices stop apps that are running in the background.

And the newer devices seem to be doing this much more aggressively.

You can attempt to turn off Battery Optimization for individual apps that this really bothers you with, and/or you can try to Pin these same apps, whichvon some devices can keep the pinned apps in memory.

Ways to go about these proceedures vary from device to device and OS to OS, but I can give you the general gist of how you may find these settings.

Battery Optimization

Settings
Battery
(three dot menu icon, upper right)
Battery optimization
(arrow down mid-upper right)
All apps

Select the app(s) you want to remove from Battery Optimization.

Pinning

Settings
Security & location
Screen pinning

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Did you have a 1GB or 2GB ZenFone model? If the 1GB model it's not surprising for it to be a little laggy at times, that's a marginally minimal amount of RAM for a 2018 vintage Android phone. That's adequate for Android to run in the background but once you actually start using various apps the memory management in a 1GB phone is working a lot harder than it needs to than in a more capable phone.
Also note in your comparisons, just as an example, the S3 (2013) was in its day Samsung's flagship model so making direct comparisons between phones from different marketing categories and from different time periods can be misleading as there are lot of variables involved (it's not just RAM but manufactures rely upon different processors, different logic boards, different versions of Android, etc.)

Upvote 0
Many new devices stop apps that are running in the background.

And the newer devices seem to be doing this much more aggressively.

You can attempt to turn off Battery Optimization for individual apps that this really bothers you with, and/or you can try to Pin these same apps, whichvon some devices can keep the pinned apps in memory.

Ways to go about these proceedures vary from device to device and OS to OS, but I can give you the general gist of how you may find these settings.

Battery Optimization

Settings
Battery
(three dot menu icon, upper right)
Battery optimization
(arrow down mid-upper right)
All apps

Select the app(s) you want to remove from Battery Optimization.

Pinning

Settings
Security & location
Screen pinning
I have most of the installed apps and others of the system "checked". But I don't get the concept. If the app is "checked" it is set to stop once closed to save power, or is it the contrary, the "checked" ones are allowed to run in the background?

@svim, my model has 2 GB.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210225-151610.png
    Screenshot_20210225-151610.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0
If the app shows up in the 'optimized' list, it will be shut down by the system.

If it shows up in the 'not optimized' list, then the system (at least the battery optimization part) will leave it alone.

Keep in mind that Android will turn off apps you have not used recently or that are a power drain when you are using other apps that need the resources.

Naturally, this makes it difficult to keep many apps running constantly on a low memory device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones