• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Majesty (Z796C) internal mic disabled with headphones plugged in

MadMax

Lurker
Mar 8, 2014
I have a ZTE Majesty Z796C phone on the straighttalk network (Verizon towers). The current android OS on it is 4.1.2.

When I first got this phone, I could plug it into a headphone adapter (audio cassette) so I could listen to MP3 music in my car. When someone called, the music would stop and I could talk to the person (I can hear them thru the car speakers) and they could hear me just fine. I noticed when in-call, the "speakerphone" button on the screen was greyed out so I could not select it.

However, recently when I was traveling and doing this, when a person calls they cannot hear me but I can hear them fine thru the car speakers. I noticed on the screen the speakerphone button is available to select now. But if I select it, the caller can be heard from the phone's speaker instead of thru the car radio's speakers.

I noticed with my cassette adapter or any set of regular headphones plugged into the phone, the icon that appears at the top of the screen is that of a headphone set with microphone - not just headphones icon.

Mechanical problem with the headphone jack on this phone or OS update causing the problem?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones