• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Whirl z660g only temp root so far

Sorry been messing with stuff and doing alot of christmas stuff. Just logged back on to check things out and see some of the info I posted.

I built CWM recovery for this device and was going to see if I should flash it with dd to the recovery partition. Then I noticed stayboogy also has built a recovery. I know the fake flash cwm recovery I built and the one that came from the online recovery builder fail verification. I've read that the 3e recovery is really picky about letting things flash. I tried the signed and unsigned fake flash that I produced I'll test the fake flash stayboogy has build before I try to flash the recovery image with dd. I might not try the recovery image I've built because it's only 7 meg and not 16 like the original I might have to look into the device a little more and confige some more params before I go about flashing things with dd

no img's are ever going to be the same size unless they are actually the same img file.

the reason the stock ones are so large is because dd pulls the whole partition, not just the img.

the img's when they are unpacked and repacked, or built from scratch will never be the whole size of the partition.

if you do flash a new recovery, let me know what happens.

first, i would try to get into ftm mode / download mode with the device and see if you can't flash an img that way. that may help with the verification process.

Upvote 0
I just came to the same conclusion about the image size. I was reading about others being really concerned about the image size not being the same, so after more reading I came across more information that says they dont need to be. I figured the difference in size would be just FF'ed or 00'ed out but I just wanted to make sure.

Upvote 0
Might be the end of the road for this phone. Flash the recovery I build with dd to the recovery partition. dd said everything went o.k. so I thought that was kewl. So I then rebooted the phone into recovery mode and the zte logo came up and the boot process started, then a message poped up that said "VERIFY ERROR" then the screen went black and now the phone does nothing at all. You would think that the phone would at least still boot as far as it did the first time I tried the reboot. It's almost like ZTE has installed some type of kill code into the device. Kinda stinks they would do that I haven't seen a device do things like that before to go from a somewhat working state to a completely dead state after a verification check. The charge indicator will not come on or anything. Really the only thing that shouldn't work is the recovery unless a kill code just shelled the phone.

Upvote 0
Might be the end of the road for this phone. Flash the recovery I build with dd to the recovery partition. dd said everything went o.k. so I thought that was kewl. So I then rebooted the phone into recovery mode and the zte logo came up and the boot process started, then a message poped up that said "VERIFY ERROR" then the screen went black and now the phone does nothing at all. You would think that the phone would at least still boot as far as it did the first time I tried the reboot. It's almost like ZTE has installed some type of kill code into the device. Kinda stinks they would do that I haven't seen a device do things like that before to go from a somewhat working state to a completely dead state after a verification check. The charge indicator will not come on or anything. Really the only thing that shouldn't work is the recovery unless a kill code just shelled the phone.

Sounds very familiar. I had the same issue when we DD'd a modified boot image to the ZTE Valet... Went fine, then Verify Error on reboot, then nothing...

Start at this post to see my nightmare...

When I plugged mine into the PC it showed in Device Manager as a Unknown Device, so I looked it up by it's device ID... Found it was installing as "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" so I found the drivers, and did some research...

Turns out it is in a special download mode... The "qualcomm product support tool" was able to see the phone, but in order to re-image it you need a hex copy of the stock rom... Which is not available... Do what you can from there. Hope you have better luck than I have.

Upvote 0
Looks like it'll be awhile till I get another Whirl. My girl took the bricked one back and they just gave her cash. So I ended up with a alcetel one touch 5020t. I'll remember to do my backups with qpst next time. Should have grabbed my spc code first thing after I figured out the temp root so I could backup with qpst. Oh well live and learn. Just think qpst had backups of lg optimus s phones but I spaced it out for the whirl.

I havent forgot about it and I'll get another and continue messing with it, just strapped for cash right now. Heck the phone didn't even work with my carrier but for $27 it was worth it. I'll pick up another here in a few weeks or so and qpst backup the think first off before I go flashing it.

Upvote 0
Looks like it'll be awhile till I get another Whirl. My girl took the bricked one back and they just gave her cash. So I ended up with a alcetel one touch 5020t. I'll remember to do my backups with qpst next time. Should have grabbed my spc code first thing after I figured out the temp root so I could backup with qpst. Oh well live and learn. Just think qpst had backups of lg optimus s phones but I spaced it out for the whirl.

I havent forgot about it and I'll get another and continue messing with it, just strapped for cash right now. Heck the phone didn't even work with my carrier but for $27 it was worth it. I'll pick up another here in a few weeks or so and qpst backup the think first off before I go flashing it.

When I get my replacement Valet I plan on doing a qpst backup... I did not know about it before I bricked my phone...

Upvote 0
Wish I would have paid more attention I remember reading about certain modes you phone went into. I just spaced it out and went in some crazy direction. That's why I hate tinkering around with things when I'm tired and really late at night, I never seem to have very good results late or when I get in to big a hurry. Hope I don't get to brave with this new phone and freak it out.

But heck you have to break a couple eggs if your gunna make an omelet :)

As for now I'm just waiting to get my revenge on the ZTE Whirl z660g (nice)

Shot with this new device I already have perm root and it hasn't even fully charged yet. I haven't looked at the recovery yet and so far I haven't found a cyanogenmod rom for it. I have everything setup to try to port it I'll just be extra careful this time and do some major backups. I don't think this device has a qualcomm processor so I'm going to have to look into what I need to back everything up.

I would like to thank everyone for everything I picked up along the way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones