• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Write Protection for ZMAX and other ZTE phones

well I bricked the ZMAX 2 ATT Go I was working with, trying to use the bootloaders from the ZMAX unlocked

good thing I can still return it

so I am done messing with the Zmax 2 ATT Go

Haha I did almost the same thing with a brand new zmax about 10 months ago trying to use the bootloaders from a different device lol

Last edited:
Reactions: hroark13
Upvote 0
It also seems that the command only needs to be entered once to permanently turn off the system write protection. @jhoak1 did a full wipe and clean flashed a new build of broken os and he still had system rw.

it will keep write protection off until you issues this command

adb reboot emmcwpenab

Upvote 0
Can
This was found by me, I can not believe it was this easy
To turn off nand / system write protection on the ZTE ZMAX and maybe other phones

WORKS ON
ZTE ZMAX 2 (unlocked (LEO) Z955a)
ZTE ZMAX
ZTE CONCORD 2
ZTE Grand x3
ZTE Grand S Pro n9835
ZTE Prestige N9132

DOES NOT WORK ON
ZTE WHIRL 1
ZTE WHIRL 2
ZTE ZMAX 2 (Z958 (LOL) ATT GO)
ZTE Warp Elite
ZTE Max+ n9521

You should use this before you use your rooting utility, like Kingo Root

run this command in adb shell or terminal

reboot disemmcwp

to re-enable write protection issue this command

reboot emmcwpenab

I AM A FARKING GENIUS

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Like

If you would like to buy me a beer , you can click on the PayPal button

can you please help me root my grand x3 im having trouble

Reactions: Luway
Upvote 0
using the terminal emulator app
on metropcs zte zmax b13 I typed in
su
then it asked for super su permission
then it brought up root
I typed in
reboot disemmcwp
then my phone rebooted
and turned back on
I then tried to update my busybox
to see if I could have any type write permission and before I typed in what u had said to do, it would say the busy box update wouldn't install but after I did what u said to do it let me have write permission.
I am assuming the write permission will prally not stick after a reboot but it does seem to work as a temporary solution for those who are away from a cpu

Upvote 0
memememememe love what u done with the zmax lol lol

Attachments

• Beaker-beaker-16860984-321-351-274x300.jpg
    Beaker-beaker-16860984-321-351-274x300.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Upvote 0
using the terminal emulator app
on metropcs zte zmax b13 I typed in
su
then it asked for super su permission
then it brought up root
I typed in
reboot disemmcwp
then my phone rebooted
and turned back on
I then tried to update my busybox
to see if I could have any type write permission and before I typed in what u had said to do, it would say the busy box update wouldn't install but after I did what u said to do it let me have write permission.
I am assuming the write permission will prally not stick after a reboot but it does seem to work as a temporary solution for those who are away from a cpu

I used terminal emulator to enter the "reboot disemmcwp" command on my zmax z970 and it has persisted through countless reboots, dirty flashing multiple BrokenOS ROM updates, and clean flashing the latest update last night. I wiped system and did a factory reset before installing the newest update of BrokenOS and once the ROM booted up I still had system rw access without a switcher.

Running the "reboot disemmcwp" command should disable the system write protection INDEFINITELY until you use the other command to turn it back on. Also, I don't think root is needed for the command to work even with terminal emulator. It certainly wasn't needed in my case.

All I needed to do was install terminal emulator, open a terminal, and without ever requesting or granting root access, run the "reboot disemmcwp" command. It did not require root and it is still working after several days, dozens of reboots, and a factory reset.

Reactions: drudrumauro
Upvote 0
I used terminal emulator to enter the "reboot disemmcwp" command on my zmax z970 and it has persisted through countless reboots, dirty flashing multiple BrokenOS ROM updates, and clean flashing the latest update last night. I wiped system and did a factory reset before installing the newest update of BrokenOS and once the ROM booted up I still had system rw access without a switcher.

Running the "reboot disemmcwp" command should disable the system write protection INDEFINITELY until you use the other command to turn it back on. Also, I don't think root is needed for the command to work even with terminal emulator. It certainly wasn't needed in my case.

All I needed to do was install terminal emulator, open a terminal, and without ever requesting or granting root access, run the "reboot disemmcwp" command. It did not require root and it is still working after several days, dozens of reboots, and a factory reset.

You are right! The write protection is off after rebooting even with just using terminal emulator app on the phone. For some reason I had thought it wouldn't stick through reboot it just seemed to be too good to be true.
I dont know why but under adb devices on terminal emulator it said my device was not found and when I typed in adb shell I would just get a blank column. The only thing that would work for me was by typing su first then the command. I dont know why I had to do it that way but either way I am happy it worked! :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
I just entered the command using terminal emulator on my MetroPCS zmax running broken os 6.0.1 and it is persisting across reboots! Looks like it doesn't matter if its entered via adb or terminal emulator and the result is the same either way.

I am sorry that this is off the topic of the thread but I have been searching and searching and I can not find the answer and I been searching through posts and comments and am desperately and anxiously trying to figure this out before I go crazy lol.
Is it safe for me to flash 5.1.x gapps with the 6.0.1 rom or do I need 6.x gapps? I cant find a 6.x gapps zip to download in the download section and I am assuming just to use 5.1.x gapps but I do not want to do it unless Im sure because when I assume I am usually wrong lol

Upvote 0
I am sorry that this is off the topic of the thread but I have been searching and searching and I can not find the answer and I been searching through posts and comments and am desperately and anxiously trying to figure this out before I go crazy lol.
Is it safe for me to flash 5.1.x gapps with the 6.0.1 rom or do I need 6.x gapps? I cant find a 6.x gapps zip to download in the download section and I am assuming just to use 5.1.x gapps but I do not want to do it unless Im sure because when I assume I am usually wrong lol
No, Google open gapps!

Reactions: drudrumauro
Upvote 0
If i re-enable write protection will i still have root or will i have issues apps that need root access

Any time you try to make a change to the system partition you will have an issue. Here are some examples of issues you could have after re-enabling the write protection. If you try to delete a system app it won't work. If you try to change your boot animation it won't work. If you try to convert a downloaded app to a system app it won't work. If you try to edit your build.prop it won't work. If you try to install a different font it won't work.
I can't think of a reason to turn the write protection back on unless you are flashing the phone back to pure stock and removing root and custom recovery.
I hope this helps.

Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0
This seems to also work on the zte grand x max+ (z987) according to this quote.
Can confirm that this works on the Grand X Max + on Cricket Wireless!
Went through the above process, ran SRSRoot, Then Kingo ROOT.

Root can now be verified by ADB Shell and through Various other Root Checking applications.

Great stuff. Now just a little closer to getting rid of this damn Lollipop.
Because it wasn't clear whether he was confirming that grand x max+ phones updated to lollipop via ota could now be rooted, that the "reboot disemmcwp" command worked, or both of these things, I asked him to be more specific. Here is his reply. Turns out it was both.
OK, right now I'm not on the PC but I can tell you that I am on 4.4 right now.

1st ran Newest Kingroot
2nd used a terminal emulator and ran "reboot disemmcwp".

3rd Created folder named 1234 in system folder, and created a dummy .zip file.

4th Rebooted

5th Checked to make absolutely sure that the folder and dummy file was still there. It was.

I can install Lollipop to verify that this same process works, tomorrow.

Also, I was able to uninstall bloatware once I ran the reboot disemmcwp command. Before that it would fail to uninstall with a force close of the app.

Last edited:
Reactions: hroark13
Upvote 0
So, this method worked for my tmobile ZTE zinger. I replaced kingo with supersu and all seemed well even several reboots later.

Then I got a notification for OTA update. Some security patch, seemed small like the last one they pushed for stagefright. I wasn't sure if it would work or not with modified system but I figured there was no harm in trying it anyway. It reboots to oem recovery and fails the update because of system mismatch error. From what I could barely read of the output before it rebooted in 5 seconds, it erased a bunch of stuff before applying the patch or verifying if system was modified. What kind of idiot wrote this ota script? Now the phone boot loops to recovery menu and can't boot into system. Am I screwed or what?

Upvote 0
So, this method worked for my tmobile ZTE zinger. I replaced kingo with supersu and all seemed well even several reboots later.

Then I got a notification for OTA update. Some security patch, seemed small like the last one they pushed for stagefright. I wasn't sure if it would work or not with modified system but I figured there was no harm in trying it anyway. It reboots to oem recovery and fails the update because of system mismatch error. From what I could barely read of the output before it rebooted in 5 seconds, it erased a bunch of stuff before applying the patch or verifying if system was modified. What kind of idiot wrote this ota script? Now the phone boot loops to recovery menu and can't boot into system. Am I screwed or what?

yeah, I would say your screwed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones