• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An issue destorying our country.

you actually do any research on how many deaths via accidental od are attributed directly to mdma/extacy?

A bit, and those deaths I attribute to irresponsible usage. People die from irresponsible use of alcohol every day, yet it is legal to drink.

I'm assuming you're young?

I'm in the 25-34 age bracket. That's as specific as I'll get.

Upvote 0
My only issue with pot as a recreational, readily available drug is that, it would be used much like alcohol is, especially by the young. Unlike Alcohol, however, detecting people under the influence of marijuana is much more difficult (and not something that can be done instantaneously, on site. Since the effects of marijuana in many ways mimic some of the effects of alcohol (impaired judgment & slowed reaction times), I could easily picture an increase in traffic accidents and fatalities caused by people under the influence of pot. Unlike Alcohol, Cops would not have an effective measure to combat it.

this is probably the best point made so far in defense of marijuanna remaining illegal. However, it's still very flawed. First of all, driving drunk and driving high are two completely different things. People usually drive much slower when high and pay attention to every minor detail around them (part of being a little paranoid). Drunk usually equals careless driving. It is nowhere near as bad as drunk driving. Not to mention that should not be a reason for it to be illegal. Illegal to smoke and drive maybe, but definitely not outright. I should be able to enjoy something natural in the privacy of my own home to calm my nerves after a long day at work. It's never killed anyone directly, while alcohol is a completely different story. Not to mention how many of our tax dollars are WASTED trying to control it. Just think how many people we are paying to keep in jail on pot charges. There is NO good reason to keep marijuanna illegal.

Upvote 0
this is probably the best point made so far in defense of marijuanna remaining illegal. However, it's still very flawed. First of all, driving drunk and driving high are two completely different things. People usually drive much slower when high and pay attention to every minor detail around them (part of being a little paranoid). Drunk usually equals careless driving. It is nowhere near as bad as drunk driving. Not to mention that should not be a reason for it to be illegal. Illegal to smoke and drive maybe, but definitely not outright. I should be able to enjoy something natural in the privacy of my own home to calm my nerves after a long day at work. It's never killed anyone directly, while alcohol is a completely different story. Not to mention how many of our tax dollars are WASTED trying to control it. Just think how many people we are paying to keep in jail on pot charges. There is NO good reason to keep marijuanna illegal.

While I advocate legalizing marijuana, your depiction of how marijuana affects your driving is just factually incorrect.

Marijuana affects your reflexes, your reactions to conditions on the road, your ability to concentrate, and your coordination.

I don't care how slow you drive, these impairments make driving high absolutely idiotic.

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
Yep I have to agree with Byteware on this one. But Tommy_ed has a point. If Marijuana is to be made legal, then that should come with very effective controls on growing and distribution, as well as laws punishing those who would operate vehicles while under the influence of marijuana - just like it is currently done with alcohol.

Also, IMHO, since marijuana cannot be detected in your system on site, cops should have effective means of restricting the movements and testing for someone who is high. Of course then you get into the tests themselves, which will detect THC in your system long after you are no longer high. are there even any effective tests out there that can tell at what time you are actually high and when you are not?

Sorry, but I think it is a major can of worms and I don't think that full openness is the way to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones