• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone with Google Play Family Library experience

anwul62

Jun 22, 2015
Before trying to do things that might be impossible or comes with a price, or have many 'cons', I'd like to ask if anyone here has experience with "Google Play Family Library".
Use Google Play Family Library - Google One Help

Background: I have a paid app that I do not use anymore, but would like to install on my wife's smartphone. Transfer of apps is not possible.

A workaround seems to be to install the Google Play app and then to 'Sign up for Family Library'... (?)

Probably I also need to install the Google Play app on my wife's smartphone?
(BTW she does not have a Google One account, just a basic account)
Are there any drawbacks?
Is it easy to share an app?
Pop-ups asking to do this, do that, suggest so-and-so?

thanks!

well according to your link you do not need a google one account....just a google account.

i do not have the family plan, but this looks like the best way to share apps. the other option is to have your wife's phone on your google account....basically using only one account.

curious as to why you do not have google play installed on your phone? it should already be there. what phone do you and your wife have?

Upvote 0
Am a bit ashamed and very sorry for the confusion. You are right, Google Play is there, but frankly I never used it. If I am looking for an app, I launch Edge (in my case), search for the app, find in the Google Store (here is / was my mistake: it isn't 'Store', which I always believed it was, but it is 'Play', ahum).
On Quora I found a thread " What is the difference between Google Store and Google Play?"

There is this thread on support.google.com: How i can transfer purchased in another account

I'll give it a try, let's see how it goes...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones