• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't Tether after reaching 6GB METROPCS hotspot cap

Well there are other options thankfully. But it requires ROM changes and or getting a new phone and to root it. And by using the other Wifi tether method. I asked him recently about it. Unfortunately the F6 cannot do this method. But there are many different ways to get around it.

Did you get anything going yet? I would sure like to know. This is bull$hit.

Upvote 0
The answer is in the rom your device runs, and sometimes simply the build.prop edit for 4.4.x and above.
Code:
tether_dun_required=0

I had this exact same issue on my oem unlocked moto g 2015 with tmo's unlimited. I flashed an AOSP rom that uses the CAF toolchain on my moto and it works...I regularly get 2MBPS+ on my tablet connected to my moto's hotspot.

For my Nexus 4, Pure Nexus rom. Chroma also works.

It's the rom, everyone.

Now....having said that, tmobile, and vicariously metro pcs, utilize another form of throttling, as well, and this one affects your overall web speed for the entire account...including additional lines attached via a family plan. This throttle is dependent on your total data usage. I've noticed tmobile has mine set at about 25gb for the month. So this means when my billing cycle starts, so does the data counter. Once I hit my 25gb soft cap, "whenever the traffic in my area is heavy"...tmo's words, not mine...I get deprioritized, meaning those who have used less data will get faster speeds and I get 2g during those hours. Mine happens to be about 9am-midnight sat & sun and 2pm-midnight weekdays....sometimes a little later at night. During this time, there is NO SOLUTION to obtaining faster speeds, other than CHANGE YOUR LOCATION.....move around. Go to a friend's. Take a walk to the park a few blocks down. Once you move, your speed will get better. This is my experience.

I hope this helps....and INB4 'way to give away trade secrets'......they already know dude -.-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same problem here, seems like now hotspot transfer cap is about 8 GB, which still sucks a lot!
I just moved and had no adsl in house, so I used the hotspot until it got fcked (viewing youtube videos most of the time, I did not know it would get fcked since the data plan is unlimited without hidden fees as they said)... now it takes several minutes to load this forum webpage, which put me in an angry situation hehe...

Is there any way not to hack this sht, but pay for more data transfer? metropcs is so dumb that I entered their webpage to see if is possible buying more data transfer, but after some minutes and not finding anything got tired and leaved. Sad to see that this sht continue after several years, we definitely need something like google ballons or facebook airplanes broadcasting some free internet hehe.

Upvote 0
I use metro pcs with pda net. I watch a lot of Netflix. Yes it us a pain to have to turn the laptop on & have free phone tethered to it. But it is the only way I have found that metro/ t mobile won't slow the speeds down.
My configuration is: pda net Seth with hide tether usage. Also I went into network adapter settings and clicked on the pda net adapter and shared it with the Ethernet port, so my roku could use the same internet access. Have not had any problems, other than pda net sometimes shuts down. Might be a Windows problem. Netflix doesn't know it's running off if a phone. I haven't tried the wifi adapter yet, have to try it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones