• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dedicated ebook reader or just the phone?

What do you use to read primarily: a dedicated ebook reader like Kindle/Nook or your android phone? And why?

As for me, I dropped the idea of buying a Kindle after getting my Galaxy Note. Reasons:
1. The screen size is large enough to read.
2. I read in public transport a lot. Taking the phone out from the pocket is always easier than having to take a reader from the bag.
3. No need of book lights. With the phone it's simple to adjust the day/night modes and the brightness level to your will.

Would like to know your thoughts as well.

Like you, I have the Galaxy Note and find that I really don't need a dedicated ereader since I have the Note. I used to read on a 7" android device, but since I got the Note, I only use the 7" for watching videos while I do the dishes.

My Note is my one device to rule them all... :)

Upvote 0
What do you use to read primarily: a dedicated ebook reader like Kindle/Nook or your android phone? And why?

As for me, I dropped the idea of buying a Kindle after getting my Galaxy Note. Reasons:
2. I read in public transport a lot. Taking the phone out from the pocket is always easier than having to take a reader from the bag.
3. No need of book lights. With the phone it's simple to adjust the day/night modes and the brightness level to your will.

I originally used a dedicated eBook reader (Kindle), until I upgraded my phone a couple of months ago from a Blackberry Tour to a Galaxy Nexus, now I only use my phone for the same reasons you listed. However...I am considering a 7 or 10 inch tablet for at home reading and light web surfing.

Upvote 0
i to like reading physical books. but i have read books both on my evo lte and on my asus transformer infinity. i do not mind reading books on both devices. i use google's play book app to read my books.

Been so long since I read a physical book I've forgotten how it feels, lol

I want to have physical books on my shelf, but I'd rather read e-books

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0

I read on my Nook. It fits perfectly in to a pocket on the front of my purse, and even the breast pocket of some of my shirts. The screen is the perfect size for reading; about like a paperback, and the backlight and text is adjustable. I got it before I got a smartphone, and it's my go to for reading.

I've got a phone with a really big screen, but even so, the text of a book on that screen is just so damned tiny. My eyes aren't getting any younger, and I have to squint at things I wouldn't have done ten years ago. I do have one book I'm currently reading on my phone, just because I saw it for sale in the Google Play store, and my Nook won't accept purchases from there. Besides, there are times - precious few - when I won't have my Nook with me.

Upvote 0
I have a massive dead-tree collection, but having e-versions is much more convenient.

I mean, seriously, I love reading from a physical book, but being able to tote one around is not always feasible (or comfortable, depending on the size/format).

I used to read on my Palm T|X using eReader, then upgraded my dumb phone to a Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' which is my primary ereader using a combination of Cool Reader (it has a nice night mode as well as easily adjustable brightness by swiping the left border of the screen, as well as reading the .pdb files I generated for using on my PDA) and Kindle for Android (when absolutely necessary).

The problem with reading on my phone is that I blow my battery reading and have to recharge it in the middle of the day or risk killing the phone.

I also have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with the same two readers on it, which is a nicer, easier to read screen, but heavier than the phone, and of course not quite as portable.

I have wanted a dedicated reader for some time, but had decided to wait for a decent color e-ink display to hit the market. I ended up getting the Tab 2 instead, for various reasons.

Upvote 0
I used to be certain that I preferred actual books and would in no way shape or form read ebooks,

Then I ended up spending alot of time waiting around in hospitals recently and discovered the Kindle app on my One X,

I was great and is so much easier than lugging the Game of thrones book im reading everywhere with me :)

I've had a go on a few dedicated e-readers and whilst they are maybe easier to read I still prefer my phone for the same reason others have listed, its just so much more convenient been able to take my phone out my pocket and read off there.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I used to be certain that I preferred actual books and would in no way shape or form read ebooks, [...]
I was great and is so much easier than lugging the Game of thrones book im reading everywhere with me :)
That's me in a nutshell.

I'm TOTALLY addicted to my paperwhite Kindle. Though I do hate it when I'm out and about and don't have it on me (don't have books in both places)
I still keep a book by the bed, a book by my favorite chair, and a book in the car. PLUS I take my Nook HD with me everywhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones