• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ecosystems: Google vs Amazon

Windroid

Android Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2023
Apple has an ecosystem for it's iPhone and other devices, but Android has an ecosystem too. Actually, Android had two competing ecosystems: Google's and Amazon's. Both companies have offer (for example) app stores, e-book stores, and television streaming services for Android. Do you folks have any feelings on the two Android ecosystems, and any preference between Google and Amazon? Or is there a third Android ecosystem you prefer?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
why not both? i use google services just as much as amazon. no need to be one or the other. i use the kindle app on my z fold 4. i watch both google tv and prime as well as other streaming services like disney+ and hulu.

plus being a prime member, i order stuff on amazon all the time.
I rarely use Amazon. I don't order enough to justify buying into Prime. The last thing I bought on Amazon was a waffle maker and it was a piece of crap and i wrote that in my review. Then the seller kept emailing me telling me to take my review down and he would send me a $20 Amazon Gift card

Upvote 0
I rarely use Amazon. I don't order enough to justify buying into Prime. The last thing I bought on Amazon was a waffle maker and it was a piece of crap and i wrote that in my review. Then the seller kept emailing me telling me to take my review down and he would send me a $20 Amazon Gift card
just like with anything you have to be careful what you buy. but i buy things like wallets, key holders, and other things that might help me get thru life. i recently bought a really nice foot and calf massager that i really dig. it helps after doing a 10 or 12 hour days which happens more often than i like to.
Tired King Of Queens GIF by TV Land

Upvote 0
To answer my own question: My family and I are much more in the Amazon than the Google ecosystem (though we do use Google Maps and the Google app store). We're not big fans of Google here. Even though I have an iPhone myself (alongside my two Android tablets): I avoid the Apple ecosystem, because the Apple ecosystem only works well on Apple devices. Both the Amazon and Google ecosystems aren't limited to like that, you can use them on both iOS and Android. In that way, Android's ecosystems are far more flexible than Apple's.

Now, don't think I'm an Apple-basher here! Apple's ecosystem has it's advantages, it's the right choice for some people. My dad likes the way his iPad works with his Mac. I'm going to get an iPad and iPhone for a computer-illiterate friend of mine, who desperately needs a computer (I think the iPad and iPhone would be the easier for her to use). That will put her into the Apple camp. But for me, I like the flexibility of Android's ecosystems.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Apple has an ecosystem for it's iPhone and other devices, but Android has an ecosystem too. Actually, Android had two competing ecosystems: Google's and Amazon's. Both companies have offer (for example) app stores, e-book stores, and television streaming services for Android. Do you folks have any feelings on the two Android ecosystems, and any preference between Google and Amazon? Or is there a third Android ecosystem you prefer?
There's a third ecosystem I use for some things Android.....China, Inc. :thumbsupdroid: Mainly because Amazon isn't available here, and Google is banned(unless using a VPN).

There's also FOSS(Free Open Source Software), which can have much to offer for many platforms, including Android.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and why not add a 4th.....Samsung. it seems that almost everything i have is samsung......and this was not done intentially. it just seems that the products kind of steered themselves to me. but i own 2 samsung tv's, a washer and dryer by samsung, and i just bought a new fridge that is samsung as well. and of course not to mention my z fold 4 is samsung as well as my samsung buds pro and my samsung gear s3, watch3, and watch4.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Can you use Samsung apps, home devices, etc., on non-Samsung phones?
don't know. the only non samsung android device i have ever owned was the htc hero, htc evo 3g, the htc evo 4g and lastly the htc evo 3d (this was one of my favorite devices, the 3d thing was sooooo coool).

there are not really many useful samsung apps to begin with. the only one i really use are the Samsung Health app and Smart Switch for when i upgrade to a new phone.......that's about it. i really never get things from Samsung's app store.

Upvote 0
don't know. the only non samsung android device i have ever owned was the htc hero, htc evo 3g, the htc evo 4g and lastly the htc evo 3d (this was one of my favorite devices, the 3d thing was sooooo coool).

there are not really many useful samsung apps to begin with. the only one i really use are the Samsung Health app and Smart Switch for when i upgrade to a new phone.......that's about it. i really never get things from Samsung's app store.
I ask, because if the Samsung ecosystem only works on Samsung phones, then it's not an Android ecosystem. It's just a Samsung ecosystem. But if the Samsung ecosystem gets along fine with non-Samsung Androids, then yes, Samsung is a third Android ecosystem.

Upvote 0
I ask, because if the Samsung ecosystem only works on Samsung phones, then it's not an Android ecosystem. It's just a Samsung ecosystem. But if the Samsung ecosystem gets along fine with non-Samsung Androids, then yes, Samsung is a third Android ecosystem.
well the ear buds will work on any phone. and the watch for the most part should work with most phones as well. why can't it be an android ecosystem? an ecosystem is just that, a world of its own. all samsung phones are android. the samsung watch has its own os called tizen, but it works perfectly fine on android. so why can't it be its own android ecosystem?

Upvote 0
why can't it be an android ecosystem?
Why isn't the Apple ecosystem an Android ecosystem? Because the Apple ecosystem doesn't play nice with Android, Android users are shut off from it. If the Samsung ecosystem doesn't play nice with non-Samsung Android, then most Android users are shut off from the Samsung ecosystem same as they're shut off from the Apple ecosystem.

In other words: By "Android ecosystem": I mean an ecosystem that plays nice with Android systems, including non-Samsung Android systems.

Upvote 0
I've been wanting to learn more about Android in China. Can you tell me more, or point to a good article, or somthing?
Well basically Google is banned and blocked in China(unless using a VPN), and no Android devices sold here have the Play Store or other Google apps. So Android device manufacturers partner with companies like Tencent, Alibaba, and Baidu to provide app stores and ecosystems on their devices. Samsung and Huawei runs their own app stores and ecosystems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones