• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Failed upgrades on Virgin Mobile

Hey Badblue1, it's actually a pretty good phone, especially considering the price. The front camera is gorgeous, and the back camera is amazing. It's awesome under the hood too, I've played tons of games on it and the graphics are stunning. The BoomSound speakers also make for great music listening and just overall a better experience when watching videos or movies. I switched from the ZTE Vital, which only has a slightly better screen, and can honestly say this is the phone I'm happy with. The only con is the memory, and that's about it. Storage capacity is a bit cramped but if you buy a bangin SD card you'll be fine. As for the battery, this phone will never give you a reason to take it out. It was one of the make or break factors I had once I was thinking about purchasing it. But now that I have it, I can honestly say it doesn't make much of a difference. Pros beat cons man, just throwing it out there.

Reactions: badblue1
Upvote 0
Oh and Waterste, I literally just upgraded to the 1.50 update an hour ago. I think it might have been a connection issue or something or not enough space I'm assuming. I didn't have much problems with it aside from the super slow downloading time. But yeah. Mine was a success, and all I could think was that I used my internet, not local WiFi. I dunno if that helps, but yeah.

Upvote 0
@PineapplePrince thanks for the review, i'm really leaning towards buying this phone, the non-removable battery still has me worried a bit, like if the phone freezes or locks up, i'm used to just doing a battery pull. :D
I'm going to check around to see if any development has begun for the phone. I like to root and install a custom recovery :eek:
Thanks!

Upvote 0
No problem! @badblue1 ! Rooting an HTC phone can be a bit of a hastle just saying, they're a lot more protective of their software and tend to luck it up tight when it comes to rooting methods, but that's just me putting my two cents. And yeah I was pretty used to battery pulling too.

And hey @Waterste I honestly didn't even notice that the flashlight app is gone now! Iwonder what else may have been scrapped..

Upvote 0
Hey all. I haven't bothered with the update but have unlocked the bootloader and rooted.

@badblue1 as for your concerns... The battery lasts more than a day with fairly heavy usage. If you encounter any freezes or lockups you can force a reboot with a long press of the power button and volume up. Hold for 10 seconds and you'll see a popup telling you to continue holding if you want to reboot and a countdown from 3 to 0. Rooting and recovery is possible and fairly simple. Development wise there is an official CM11 and a WIP of CM12. Sadly we don't have the community that other lesser phones have. The biggest concern is that there are quite a few variants of this phone (Indian market, Asian market, Virgin Mobile, Single and dual sim, etc.) XDA seems to be the only place with any information for the phone.

@Waterste like I said, I haven't done the update but when the bootloader is unlocked the phone does a complete reset and the flashlight and calculator app get erased. Not sure why but HTC doesn't make those 2 apps system apps so they get deleted along with other data. Both apps can be found on XDA if you want to replace them.

Reactions: badblue1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones