• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handheld vs. mobile gaming?

Article that put me in a philosophical mood.

Do you believe that mobile gaming will completely push out handhelds from the market one day?

I believe this is not the same like the PC's vs. consoles situation because modern smartphones and tablets came much later than contemporary handheld consoles.

Wikipad and Archos Gamepad are sick.

We're getting more and more console-quality games to play.

I'm sure the future of mobile gaming is bright. The question is, can the same be said for handhelds? :thinking:

I think as soon as we get mobile hardware that can match the gameplay experience of dedicated handhelds, mobile will take over a much larger share of the handheld market.

Handhelds are still around for two reasons: 1. The hardware gives a much better gaming experience with analog buttons, thumbsticks, larger screens, etc. 2. The games available, especially for the Nintendo handhelds, are better games, and provide unique gaming experiences that are exclusive to that hardware. These games are often more "traditional" as well.

Currently, mobile offers a much different gaming experience, consisting mainly of casual games with simple touch controls. This is fine for most people, but more serious gamers still want the "core" experience. I think mobile will eventually be able to satisfy those consumers as well as Tegra devices as able to run high end games, and blu-tooth controllers (MOGA, Nyco Playpad, etc.) can provide the desired tactile controls. I think the Xperia Play (psp phone) would have brought this about sooner if it had been more successful.

The real challenge for any gaming specific mobile phones/accessories is getting developer support.

Upvote 0
The fantastic thing about mobile, specifically Android, is that it's all one platform. There are no proprietary game cards or one specific device that you must have to play the games. Some games, such as Need for Speed: Most Wanted, even feature cross-platform multiplayer with iOS. If you've ever seen China's game tablet factories, they have Android systems of all shapes and sizes.

EnKDP.jpg

8ZP4j.jpg

Maybe you want a 7" or higher screen for a true tablet experience, or a small screen so that you can carry it in your pocket (or something like the Vita and Galaxy Note have, in between). Compared to the 3DS which only has two models or the PS Vita which only has the standard 5" model, there is an Android device for everyone.

Most mobile devices also feature HDMI out, basically giving users a "console" experience at home. Perhaps if handhelds were designed more like this, they would be a more enticing purchase.

Reactions: lvt
Upvote 0
I think there is even more to what it seems though, if you really want to pay the price of a handheld, even though you can still download games via google play, or psn or whatever nintendo has in their own cost. It really comes down to what you really feel like playing. I still use my vita and the games are somewhat superb. To tell the truth it also boils down on what you grown up on. My generation grown up on GB and GBAs too. So we are so adjusted to the portable vs. Mobile games, even though I have played a ton into my mobile and GB and still have, a dozen or so hard-to-track-down games without the boxes though, it is really rare to find them anywhere around them to have. Still even though it does feel right around your hands, the portable riven up vs. Mobile.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Personally I still want a dedicated handheld device with physical buttons and switches for classic games like Tetris, Mario... No stuff like Google account setup, cloud backup.
I see your point there lvt.

Buttons does make a greater feel vs. swiping. I am so used to do going both.

Reactions: lvt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones