• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me decide what phone to get

Gerane

Lurker
Apr 13, 2010
I will finally be able to make the switch to android in February. Finally will be out of my 2 year contract.

I have been wanting an android since the G1, and finally will be making the switch. I am trying to stay on a budget, and cricket is the way to go for me right now.

I am trying to decide between the Huawei Ascend and buying a used Droid and flashing it to cricket. There are ups and downs to both that have me stumped. I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have done similar. I am also considering the Zio, but i'll have to research it a bit more. Running 1.6 worries me.

Some of the things i'm having a hard time with are as follows:

Ascend
Pros
Brand New
Great price
Automatically works on Cricket

Cons
haven't been able to find any roms etc.
This could possibly mean no 2.2
from what ive heard its cheaper feeling.

Droid
Pros
The price has dropped for a used device. Have been seeing them for around 150
has a huge following for roms etc
Coolness of it being a droid

Cons
I have to flash it to work on cricket
its used, what if it doesnt work properly or dies because of its age shortly after i buy it.

I'm stuck in the middle where i'm currently sitting. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have either. I'm sure i'm forgetting some factors that could really play a part in my decision.

also, on a side note... I'm decently knowledgeable with the technical aspects of rooting etc. I have yet to own a Droid, but have jailbroken and modified my ipod touch, modded xboxs and the like. I catch on quick and have always naturally bee good with these types of things. So, i'm pretty positive I wouldn't have much problem flashing the droid to fully work on cricket without having to pay someone

I will finally be able to make the switch to android in February. Finally will be out of my 2 year contract.

I have been wanting an android since the G1, and finally will be making the switch. I am trying to stay on a budget, and cricket is the way to go for me right now.

I am trying to decide between the Huawei Ascend and buying a used Droid and flashing it to cricket. There are ups and downs to both that have me stumped. I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have done similar. I am also considering the Zio, but i'll have to research it a bit more. Running 1.6 worries me.

Ascend
Pros
Brand New
Great price

Cons

Droid
Pros

Cons
its used, what if it doesnt work properly or dies because of its age shortly after i buy it.

I'm stuck in the middle where i'm currently sitting. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have either. I'm sure i'm forgetting some factors that could really play a part in my decision.

also, on a side note... I'm decently knowledgeable with the technical aspects of rooting etc. I have yet to own a Droid, but have jailbroken and modified my ipod touch, modded xboxs and the like. I catch on quick and have always naturally bee good with these types of things. So, i'm pretty positive I wouldn't have much problem flashing the droid to fully work on cricket without having to pay someone

I used to own a cricket premier dealership so here is my 2 cents.

I would definitely go with a used droid over a cricket provided phone. Point blank the phones Cricket gets are 100% GARBAGE.

I would advise you buy a Droid of your choice from Ebay. You can use one from Sprint or Verizon. I would also just buy one with a bad esn as Cricket won't check or care, or a used one.

I suggest Ebay because if it is messed up you have buyer protection. I would not buy a pre flashed one because they are too expensive. Buy one and then get a full flash.

I would do this soon because I have heard (from questionable at best) sources that they may soon limit flashed phones to the $35 plan.
Do not fall for the nation wide coverage either.

They may have at least one coverage area in each state and thats all they need to be considered nation wide LOL. Also the roaming is only available up to a certain amount after that you will pay dearly.

Last thing, there is a 1 gig cap on data after that they throttle you for the rest of that billing cycle. People who work at the store may deny or not even know this but it is in the fine print.

Upvote 0
I may be selling my mint condition Droid X soon and it is in 100% brand new condition I also can have it flashed for free for you. It will come with the home dock and a verizon car charger. Not a mark on it anywhere. It is about 2 months old. I will be asking $425 but if you are interested I will part with it for $375 or $350 that is with the accessories. We can do it through pay pal so you will be protected or on ebay. let me know!

Upvote 0
I used to own a cricket premier dealership so here is my 2 cents.

I would definitely go with a used droid over a cricket provided phone. Point blank the phones Cricket gets are 100% GARBAGE.

I would advise you buy a Droid of your choice from Ebay. You can use one from Sprint or Verizon. I would also just buy one with a bad esn as Cricket won't check or care, or a used one.

I suggest Ebay because if it is messed up you have buyer protection. I would not buy a pre flashed one because they are too expensive. Buy one and then get a full flash.

I would do this soon because I have heard (from questionable at best) sources that they may soon limit flashed phones to the $35 plan.
Do not fall for the nation wide coverage either.

They may have at least one coverage area in each state and thats all they need to be considered nation wide LOL. Also the roaming is only available up to a certain amount after that you will pay dearly.

Last thing, there is a 1 gig cap on data after that they throttle you for the rest of that billing cycle. People who work at the store may deny or not even know this but it is in the fine print.

Rate plan contains a 1GB data usage level. Once you reach your usage level your speeds will be reduced.
that taken from $55 Android Plan - cell phone plan | Cricket Wireless

Reactions: kcs7272
Upvote 0

Cricket really is terrific and the best value for your money, depending on where you live. Since they are now partnered with Sprint their coverage has increased dramatically. The fact that you are not locked into any long term contracts is worth a lot as well.

Ascend
Pros
Brand New
Great price

Cons

The Ascend is NOT cheaper feeling. It feels great, looks great, has a nice weight and size and has a beautiful design. Just because it doesn't cost $600 or more don't think it isn't any good. This Chinese made phone is going to rock the market and hopefully force other manufacturers to stop ripping off the consumer with their ridiculous prices!

Droid
Pros

The Huawei Ascend is a Droid. I have one and the features work perfectly. My friends who have HTCs and Samsungs with Verizon are amazed at how great my Ascend works and how pretty it is. Incredible how everyone is so swayed by price. They pay 4 times as much as I do for the same service.

Cons

I have had a fully flashed phone and I can tell you from my experience you will never get a flashed phone to work as well for you as one that was made for Cricket if you are going to use Cricket as your provider. And especially if you are going for a Droid or any other type of Smart Phone. When you purchase a Droid you want to make certain that they (your carrier) can 'reset the data' if they need to. You want to be able to 'back up your data and settings'. You cannot do this with flashed phones. It simply will never work the same.

Flashing isn't that difficult if you have the right software and USB cables and an understanding of what to do. The basic problem is what I said above: A fully flashed phone will never work as well as the one designed to be used with your carrier. The first time you have to call Customer Service you will learn what a huge mistake you have made.

Even if you bought a used Droid you would have to pay around $60 bucks to get it fully flashed and even then you have no guarantee that all the features will work properly.

My advice: Buy the Huawei Ascend online for $109 (which is the current price). Stay away from the Samsung Zio as it will not perform as well for you. Don't worry that the Huawei is only 2.1 because that's what almost all Droid's are now and at the price you will pay for the Ascend you can afford to upgrade sooner. Once you can afford to upgrade you will be able to easily sell your Ascend on Craig's List.

Learn everything you can online about the Ascend before you get it and study the manual carefully because communicating with Cricket Customer Service is one of the most frustrating things you will ever experience! That is the only downside.

The Cricket droid plan is VERY straightforward. You get a fantastic plan for just $55 per month. Just remember that if you are going to be out of your calling area you may want to purchase some roaming minutes before you leave town. Or have some money in your 'flex account'. Your 3G will still work without roaming charges so you don't have to worry about that.

Good luck! I hope this helped you if you haven't already made up your mind. If not...maybe it will help someone else. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones