• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Instant messaging counts as text messaging?

mayhemill

Lurker
Oct 24, 2008
So I have the 400 text plan, so I've been using gchat with my friends, but then I heard it counts as using texting anyways. Is that true? If it is, then could I just use the web browser, and use some internet service that does texting such as going to t-mobiles website and sending a text from there?

I recall it being clearly stated in several places that any NON-Google Talk IM goes against your SMS allotment. Doesn't matter if you've got unlimited Text, but if you've got the 400 plan, you should watch it. The reason they cite is that those other IM services utilize the SMS channel, whereas Gtalk doesn't.
You could always go to a website like meebo and just use their interface.

Upvote 0
I recall it being clearly stated in several places that any NON-Google Talk IM goes against your SMS allotment. Doesn't matter if you've got unlimited Text, but if you've got the 400 plan, you should watch it. The reason they cite is that those other IM services utilize the SMS channel, whereas Gtalk doesn't.
You could always go to a website like meebo and just use their interface.
would meebo be free? or will t-mobile count as texting :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones