• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SGS3-R530M] Return to stock & reset your flash counter

R530M (d2mtr)

LJ3 (MR update 1)
www.shabbypenguin.com/OUDstuff/Samsung/Metro/R530M/Stock/LJ3/R530MVQALJ3.tar

LJ1 (release firmware)
www.shabbypenguin.com/OUDstuff/Samsung/Metro/R530M/Stock/LJ1/R530MVQALJ1.tar

MB2 (Official 4.1.2 Release)
www.shabbypenguin.com/OUDstuff/Samsung/Metro/R530M/Stock/MB2/R530MVQAMB2.tar

This tar will wipe your entire device. the only way they will know you were rooted is via download counter.

How to reset the flash counter

This is for LJ1, if you use this on any firmware newer it will cause issues. my suggestion is to use the modded triangle away i made which can be found here. it will work on both firmwares no issues.

Flash Counter Reset (for LJ1) flash this zip in custom recovery before you odin to reset your download counter to 0 :)

Credits for flash counter reset:
airtioteclint
edgeez25
averagewonder
and a very special big thanks to billard412 for helping me learn this stuff.

I received a notification from Kies today that the new phone firmware was downloaded and ready to install. My question is this. Is there any difference between the Kies 4.1.2 update, and the "R530MVQAMB2.tar" from Shabby? I update using the tar, amd was wondering if the official Samsung release is different in anyway? Thanks

Upvote 0
No difference my friend the 400 mb update was meant to just patch your ics stock rom to jellybean so only replaced/placed needed system files. the tar file is the whole entire firmware/rom. so if you do mess up your phone and want to go back to stock jellybean instead of stock ics u can just flash that tar.

Upvote 0
I have a question about how to use the flash to reset my counter. What I'm wondering is all I do is flash the LJ1 Rom have the flash zip on my card first and then flash the LJ1 rom and then boot into my cwm and then flash the counter rest? Is that all I have to do? Please help me I'm stuck on how to reset my flash counter.

Upvote 0
what is the correct order to accomplish this in? odin back then use triangle away?(which requires root access)

or to triangle away first, then odin back to stock? will that add a number to the count afterwards?

sorry to post this after pm'ing you, but i figure it's best to have the order in public for others to see for themselves :D

as simple as this proccess sounds, it's still tricky getting it done correctly on the first try if your slow like me LOLOL

Upvote 0
How do I do that? I tried to manually update it but that's not fixing it. :s

Shabby could you email me at zulkieflysim@gmail.com or google message me. I've been up till 4am trying to get this fix. )=

i was doing a lil reading here:
Last attempt to fix "Stuck In Roaming mode" for the SGS3 - Galaxy S III Guides/Tutorials - TeamUSCellular

this is for a different variant, but the proccess seems somewhat universal, might be able to help with your issue friend :D

@ShabbyPenguin: would you mind verifying if this seems legit? not sure if you would know or not but you have a way better grasp on the "innards" of these devices than i ever will :/ LOL

EDIT: other reports show people were able to restore the missing info with a cm backup/restore or to odin back to the first stock release (LJ1 for us) have you done so already?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones