• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TLG Golf

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
Tiger Wood and Rory McIlroy amongst others of a group called TMRW (pronounced tomorrow) had a ground breaking ceremony on a new indoor golf facility.
They plan having a golf league with some of the best players there starting next year. The league will be associated with the PGA and the players will be mic'd up.
(quoted)
The concept is this: Six teams of three PGA Tour players will square off in match play on a data-driven virtual course that also includes a short-game complex for chipping and putting. It'll be played on Monday nights, and will take only two hours, with in-arena fans all very close to the action. There will be 15 matches in the regular season, followed by semifinals and a final.

They already have some of the top PGA players committed to play. It could be a fun watch.

Here is a link to the article.

i am game for something like this. i just can't watch golf. its so broing. i guess its because i never played it, so i do not understand the excitement that others get out of watching it. but i have never played tennis, but i love watching.....not golf.

this seems like fun. curious to see how they will televise this.

Upvote 0
i am game for something like this. i just can't watch golf. its so broing. i guess its because i never played it, so i do not understand the excitement that others get out of watching it. but i have never played tennis, but i love watching.....not golf.

this seems like fun. curious to see how they will televise this.
I got the impression... perhaps it was written.. that a match will last two hours. Hmmm like a typical sports game designed for airing. I bet it makes its way to TV. I will definitely watch some of the matches. It sounds like fun and I bet it isn't all tight lip serious either. They will be playing a golf course that is on a screen that they will hit the ball at. An optic device will measure distance, trajectory, spin of the ball, and point of impact and roll. I've seen the machine in golf club reviews and guess they are very accurate. The screen will show each shot and where the shot ends up. Crazy tech! The article eluded to some sort of chipping and putting feature. That I've not seen.

I'm guessing it will be fun enough to watch. I'm really guessing that Rory and Tiger are in cahoots to build many of these facilities around the nation and rent time for league play. It has potential... especially in colder climate areas. Even I would love to join a league one night a week and compete. Just another spinoff of golf like the Top Golf.

Upvote 0
I've not shopped the golf simulators. I lack the space and I certainly lack the jack. Doing a search I see that the top line simulators run between 10 and 20K.
I'm sure that what Rory and Tiger are putting together will be better than that. Then they need to build a facility. It will need to be large enough for the contestants to sit while someone is hitting the ball. It will have to have a small bar to keep contestants hydrated and bathrooms. I would guess 2,000 sq' or so for a one bay facility. Another bay for two leagues playing at the same time might be in the future... maybe more bays if it really took off. I can see it happening and we are seeing the beginning. It would be a far less investment than a top golf facility. It could hold the same entertainment value. Add in a restaurant and piped music or streaming TVs with sports on. Pretty gals taking your order for snacks and beers. If I had the money Rory and Tiger have, I'd be doing exactly what they are doing.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones