• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WeChat changed login frequency

kangxi

Lurker
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,
I joined wechat years ago and used it on 3 devices. I never had to sign in. A month or so ago it started to require me to re-login almost every day. It doesn't let me know when it considers my session to have expired: if I try to send a message it just sits there with a red exclamation mark next to it, causing me to run around checking if I still have a connection. Only if I close the app and re-open it does it prompt me to login. How can I revert back to what it was before - or at least alter the log-in frequency to something that suits me?

My first thought, are you in China? I use Wechat in China, but have also used Wechat in UK, and other countries, but have never seen this problem. Wechat on my phone is always logged in.

Is your Wechat account for China or international?

No, I'm in the UK. I'm often in China for a month or two at a time, but every time I've been there I was permanently logged in to wechat. This problem only started when I was in the UK.

Upvote 0
No, I'm in the UK. I'm often in China for a month or two at a time, but every time I've been there I was permanently logged in to wechat. This problem only started when I was in the UK.

AFAIK a Wechat account is tied to your phone number, with the SIM in the phone. I've used Wechat in the UK, Ireland, Holland, Mongolia, Russia, Thailand, Malaysia, etc, however this was always roaming with my China Unicom (+86) Chinese phone number. When you're in the UK(+44), do you change SIMs to a UK carrier and UK phone number.

If you register on Wechat with a non-Cnina phone number, you're on an international account rather than a China account. Which BTW has a different ToS agreement to China. Maybe Wechat international accounts do now require periodic login?

Last edited:
Reactions: James_Watson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones