• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Moto G do I buy to use on MetroPCS and choices 8GB /16GB LTE vs. HSPA+

the only thing i have against the lte version is they only offer it in 8gb. yes it has an sd card slot but google has made it a pain to transfer apps to sd on atock android. the nice thing is its easily rootable so you can fix this but not everyone wants to root. they should of offered a 16 gb lte model with sd slot for around 240. but can't complain to much it is a fantastic device.
To each their own. I barely install apps, and I don't use my phone for games. all my music is stored on the micro SD cars. I'm happy. It fits my needs spectacularly. But it might not for thiers.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
After all the comparisons and listening to all the input here...

I pulled the trigger on the 16gb version that DOES not have an additional SIM card slot. I've decided that 16GB is fine for my needs and yes I do get the 50GB cloud storage option for two years. By then I'll have moved onto another phone. Will I miss the 4G LTE? Well HSPA+ I'm told is pretty fast and I'm able to stream video over it without any buffering so I'm ok with this phone so far. For $199 it's going to be hard to beat a 16GB solution. Currently upgrading to KitKat and I have a few Apps loaded and will see what I have for room after all is said and done.

I kept my LG Motion for wifi stuff. I ordered on Amazon and got it in two days directly from Motorola. Google owns Motorola so I'm not getting all of the LG bloat ware. From what I can see there is NO bloat ware at all on this phone. NICE!

I'm still on my $40/month plan too! Total cost for the upgrade including the card, activation, transferal of contacts data, music, pics, accounts, and syncing the blue tooth to my Jeep for hands free. $26!

One last question... There is an option for tethering with this phone. I'm going to be exploring this as an option with my Venue Pro 11 tablet. Any thoughts??

My vote is for the 16GB version with HSPA+.

Thanks to everyone here! A job well done!

-Sipdude

Upvote 0
After all the comparisons and listening to all the input here...

I pulled the trigger on the 16gb version that DOES not have an additional SIM card slot. I've decided that 16GB is fine for my needs and yes I do get the 50GB cloud storage option for two years. By then I'll have moved onto another phone. Will I miss the 4G LTE? Well HSPA+ I'm told is pretty fast and I'm able to stream video over it without any buffering so I'm ok with this phone so far. For $199 it's going to be hard to beat a 16GB solution. Currently upgrading to KitKat and I have a few Apps loaded and will see what I have for room after all is said and done.

I kept my LG Motion for wifi stuff. I ordered on Amazon and got it in two days directly from Motorola. Google owns Motorola so I'm not getting all of the LG bloat ware. From what I can see there is NO bloat ware at all on this phone. NICE!

I'm still on my $40/month plan too! Total cost for the upgrade including the card, activation, transferal of contacts data, music, pics, accounts, and syncing the blue tooth to my Jeep for hands free. $26!

One last question... There is an option for tethering with this phone. I'm going to be exploring this as an option with my Venue Pro 11 tablet. Any thoughts??

My vote is for the 16GB version with HSPA+.

Thanks to everyone here! A job well done!

-Sipdude
yea go to tethering and hotspot and turn it on

Upvote 0
I am considering both models as well (LTE and 16GB). Anyone know if either of them are easier on battery life? On all the LTE Metro phones I have had so far, the battery life is awful. It is better when the LTE radio is disabled though. However, am I correct in assuming that the LTE model will use the HSPA+ network if selected as the preferred network? I currently have a Spirit and the space is smaller than 8GB and I am happy with it, so I am sure space on the LTE will not limit me.

One last question. Does anyone have a feel on which model will have better ROM support? It seems like there are going to be more people with the HSPA versions, but that still doesn't mean that the ROM development will be more active.

Upvote 0
I am considering both models as well (LTE and 16GB). Anyone know if either of them are easier on battery life? On all the LTE Metro phones I have had so far, the battery life is awful. It is better when the LTE radio is disabled though. However, am I correct in assuming that the LTE model will use the HSPA+ network if selected as the preferred network? I currently have a Spirit and the space is smaller than 8GB and I am happy with it, so I am sure space on the LTE will not limit me.

One last question. Does anyone have a feel on which model will have better ROM support? It seems like there are going to be more people with the HSPA versions, but that still doesn't mean that the ROM development will be more active.
Since the LTE version is new, there isn't ROM support yet, but I think one it gets going both will have good support. Right now there is great support for the HSPA+ version. The LTE support will pick up.

Reactions: UKCatFan
Upvote 0
I think my Spirit heard me talking about it being replaced. :rolleyes: The problems I was having with it have suddenly stopped happening! As long as it functions normally, I will stay with it (and my unlimited 4G $40 plan) until I have to switch. I was told that it is probably happening at the end of the year down here in SWFL.

Upvote 0
I got the 16gb version with HSPA+ and am happy thus far. Spot. will catch up on LTE I'm sure. All I know is I have a ton of room now! Best part... No Bloatware!

Oh, I got to keep my 40/month unlimited too. :)

-Sipdude
Yeah, I went down to the $40 plan from the $50 one. so far I haven't been throttled. I've gone over 2 gig of data and still have good speeds.

Upvote 0
I got the 16gb version with HSPA+ and am happy thus far. Spot. will catch up on LTE I'm sure. All I know is I have a ton of room now! Best part... No Bloatware!

Oh, I got to keep my 40/month unlimited too. :)

-Sipdude

What did you say to them to keep it? I was told that because mine is a CDMA plan and I need a GSM plan, that I had to change it.

Upvote 0
I think my Spirit heard me talking about it being replaced. :rolleyes: The problems I was having with it have suddenly stopped happening! As long as it functions normally, I will stay with it (and my unlimited 4G $40 plan) until I have to switch. I was told that it is probably happening at the end of the year down here in SWFL.

Changed my mind and ordered the LTE version. My Spirit had a bad weekend. I think it is on its way out anyway. Friday everything was fine. Saturday it went back to its normal sluggishness and seeming inability to dial a number. I know I am asking a lot of a smart phone to actually act like a phone and call someone... So, jump to Sunday and with probably only five minutes of screen on time, it went from 100% battery to 15% in about six hours. Today it is acting normal again. I also found that my hardly ever used spare battery puffed up, making it useless. I had it in the phone two weeks ago and everything was fine. It was a real LG branded one as well. Can't wait to get my new phone!

Upvote 0
I would think that 4G LTE would be the way to go and faster than HSPA+. Can I walk into a Metro store with an HSPA+ device and get it to work? I know I could go to a T-Mobile store and do that. (Don't want to as Metro's plans are $10 less a month on average.)

Thoughts?

i would agree with you. I have this phone and can switch it between t mobile mvno and at&t easily by swapping the sim card.

Upvote 0
So, I did the buy your own SIM kit and call to activate method. I am wondering what APN settings everyone is using.

The one I presume that was put on by the SIM card was T-mobile LTE, which the Metro rep said was correct. With it I lose LTE after enabling/disabling wifi until I place a call and then it is back. It seems to be the exact thing happening to another user on this thread http://androidforums.com/motorola-moto-g-4g-lte/853763-wi-fi-lte-problem.html. I followed the directions in the YouTube video and set everything like it said and I have LTE now. What I am wondering though is why these instructions have you leaving the APN Type blank when the MetroPCS FAQ says to put "default,mms,supl". Everything seems to be working with that blank. I did use IPv6 and that seems to be working as well.

So, please let me know what you all are using. I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of the phone.

Thank you! :D

Upvote 0
So, I did the buy your own SIM kit and call to activate method. I am wondering what APN settings everyone is using.

The one I presume that was put on by the SIM card was T-mobile LTE, which the Metro rep said was correct. With it I lose LTE after enabling/disabling wifi until I place a call and then it is back. It seems to be the exact thing happening to another user on this thread http://androidforums.com/motorola-moto-g-4g-lte/853763-wi-fi-lte-problem.html. I followed the directions in the YouTube video and set everything like it said and I have LTE now. What I am wondering though is why these instructions have you leaving the APN Type blank when the MetroPCS FAQ says to put "default,mms,supl". Everything seems to be working with that blank. I did use IPv6 and that seems to be working as well.

So, please let me know what you all are using. I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of the phone.

Thank you! :D
Well the APN that I put in the MetroPCS FAQ thread is the one from tmobiles documents and it's also the same thing that comes preloaded on my Note 3. It may just be one of them things where it's not required and works just fine without it, or some phones need it and some don't. Just like some phones on metro don't work with the T-Mobile APN for some reason but others work just fine with it.

Reactions: UKCatFan
Upvote 0
Hows support for moto compared to lower end LGs? Isn't lte the future? Trying to decide between G and S3

welll the moto g has official cm and many other roms, the moto g lte just recently came out and has cwm and twrp and will have roms soon enough. meanwhile if you look at devices like the spirit or motion they have been out for over a year and still struggling with things on aosp side of it all.
Like shabby said, support for the HSPA version is going strong right now. I'm using one and have CM11 on it right now. I haven't had any problems/bugs since I've been using it. There are some folks who seem to be having bugs but they mostly seem to be on the XT1033 dual SIM version. Mine is XT1034 US version and I haven't encountered bugs.

I'm sure that once more people get the LTE version, and the recoveries get ironed out, that development will pick up on it.

I came from the LG Motion 4G, and before that the LG Optimus M+. I can attest to the lack of development on the M+ and pretty much only stock ROMs on the Motion. With the locked bootloader on the Motion development was just slow. Even after Loki was ported, which bypassed the locked bootloader, development really didn't take off.

Upvote 0
Well damn... The F6 rebate ended. I'm thinking get the Samsung exhibit that's on relate for $29 after to get me buy and order the Moto G LTE.... Yea? Is the L70 worth extra $? Figure may as well save for moto accessories lol

The exhibit is ok. Dont expect much from it though it can be laggy and will stutter on you. The l70 is worth the extra cash over the exhibit it really is alot better phone. Much better processor newer u.i. better screen. The camera on the exhibit is better though. Its really the older low end processor that really limits the exhibit. Neither has any development support none of the lower lg's actually do lg locks there bootloaders but on a pure device standpoint the l70 is a much better device than the exhibit.

Upvote 0
Hows support for moto compared to lower end LGs? Isn't lte the future? Trying to decide between G and S3

I still say the s3 is a better overall device than the g. I love the moto g and for its price its the best phone out there. The s3 does cost more but it is a better device even at 3 years older. I know people say its only dual core over the g being quad but really its a dual core with 2 krait cores over a quad with 4 a7's. The dual kraits are capable of much more and in terms of actual processing power the s3 is more powerful. It also has the 2gb of ram a larger better screen than the g and the cameras aint even close. Plus the s3 still has one of the largest development communities around. To me its no contest if you have tge extra cash to get an s3 do it. Best comparision quote ive heard about the 2 is the moto g is a high end midrange device where as the s3 is a midrange high end device and that really sums it up great.

Reactions: TRS-80
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones