• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 100% Stock NANDROID backup, and stock recovery

barnito

Apr 25, 2011
100% stock Nandroid Backup

CWM 4.0.1.4 Triumph

Stock Recovery

make sure you install the CWM by going into fastboot (vol - and power on) Hook up usb, then drop the recovery.img in the folder on the MOBILE drive.

Extract "Stock Triumph 1980 01 06.00.00.34.7z" to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/ Boot into CWM and look for mounts. First format system, data, cache, and under advanced format dalvik cache, then select "backup and restore" and under the restore options select the Stock_Triumph_1980-01-06.00.00.34 folder, and it will restore a never powered on backup of the stock rom.

+1 for sticky!!!

barnito,

I've stickied this for a while...eventually, since its now linked in the root guide, I'll remove the sticky, but since there's only three stickied threads here in the all-things-root sub-forum, this is okay (we just don't want too many threads stickied that will take away "space" for your guy's threads).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Any chance of getting a step by step newbie proof set of instructions on how to recover the Triumph for us newbies before we start rooting around?

did you just make a pun?

Actually, the process is a lot simpler than I originally thought it would be.

First, you have to download Gingerbreak and the Clockwork Recovery files.

I downloaded the Gingerbreak apk on my computer, copied it to my SD card, and then after ejecting the SD card from the computer, used ES File Manager to launch it. I had to reboot the phone once for Gingerbreak to work. (reboot - launch Gingerbreak - GB reboots again)

After Gingerbreak works and reboots your phone, you need to shut it back down. Hold the volume - button and press the power button. This should get you in to a text-only screen.

At that point, you need to plug in to a computer. After drivers finish loading, you should get a new drive letter. Look for a folder there named Image.

There's already a file there named recovery.img. Rename this to recovery.img.bu. While you're at it, copy this back to your computer for safekeeping, as well.

Open the Clockwork Recovery Zip file that you downloaded, and look for Recovery.img. Copy this file to the Image folder on your phone.

Eject the device from Windows using the icon in the system tray. ALWAYS do this with any flash drive or external hard drive to prevent data loss.

You'll now need to do a battery-pull to reset the phone.

At this point, you can boot the phone normally, or you can hold the Volume + button to get in to Clockwork.

Inside of Clockwork, you use the volume buttons to highlight a menu item and the power button to select it. The very fist thing I did was take a backup of my ROM, just in case. While I don't plan on installing Cyanogen any time soon, I do want to de-bloat my phone; I want to get rid of Twidroyd, Poynt, and SCVNGR. I don't actually care whether the apps are installed, but since Market keeps updating them whether I want to or not, I have decided to get rid of them...

At that point, flashing custom ROM's to the phone involves copying files to the SD card and re-running recovery (by starting with the Volume + button held down), but since there are no decent custom ROM's yet, the only real purpose to this exercise is to be able to make and restore a backup.

Upvote 0
First, I rooted my phone with Gingerbreak.

I would actually do it in this order:

1. Install CWM Recovery.
2. Create a backup of you current stock ROM.
3. Install Gingerbread to Root and you can use CWM Recovery to install it if you choose to do so.

At least if something goes wrong with the Gingerbread installation, you can restore your backed up stock ROM using CWM Recovery.

Instructions to install CWM Recovery

From Pre's Post:http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...-recovery-motorola-triumph-3.html#post3016785

RED indicates where I've made changes or offered further explanation.

• Download and unzip recovery file onto PC (The CWM 4.0.1.4 Triumph file)
  • Power off Triumph
  • (This is called Bootloader or fastboot mode) Hold Volume Down + Power and wait until (I initially didn't hold down the keys long enough when I first tried.)
  • Screen shows "Incoming Download Mode", repeating lines of "polling, get oemsbl_mode = 1" (open attached thumbnail below for a sample of what you should see on your screen). This line will constantly repeat as it polls.
  • Connect Triumph to PC via USB after getting the message. I found that I could not leave the USB cable connected to enter Bootloader mode.
  • PC should show new drive MOBILE (FAT partition) connected with 100 MB capacity with ~55 MB free
  • Within MOBILE, find and enter \image directory (there should be about 7 files, including "recovery.img")
  • Backup "recovery.img" (I renamed to recovery.old.img) or just save a copy provided by barnito.
  • Copy "recovery.img" from previously downloaded CWM zip file into the \image directory. You are replacing the recovery.img.
  • Power off Triumph (I pulled out battery, but perhaps a less invasive route exists)
  • (This is called Recovery mode)Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power
  • Voila! CWM v4.0.1.4 should have loaded!
  • Move up and down with Volume buttons, select with Power, back with Menu
  • Select "reboot system now" to reboot phone to it's normal state.
Regards,

Attachments

• Polling.JPG
    Polling.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 348
Reactions: comapro and g01851
Upvote 0
HELP! I tried to boot after formatting everything like the op... now it isnt booting...
EDIT
So a little kick in the pants from myself... turned off phone, pulled battery, took SD card out, tried to just manually add the files... long story short got the thing booted from a different SD card... however, I would still like to know what in the heck I did wrong lol.

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me i formated system cache data then noticed i didnt install the stock triumph correctly( I didnt extract it ) i think what happened is by formatting it i erased the ROm or functionality of it why it was stock on M splash screen. I was able to fix it by using an sd card reader and properly installing the stock triumph file.

Reactions: rvarn1
Upvote 0
edit: i was able to restore to stock. whew! the only way i was able to extract was by using my panasonic camera>loaded the sdcard in>then plugged to my laptop! when i tried to use an old cheapo reader, all computers here at home were asking if i wanted it formatted and was giving me all sorts of error o_O

btw restoring back to stock was my last resort as i think, in my noobie opinion, i somehow bricked my phone. :( i was installing an app (not sure if i want to mention the name of the hacked app here) and it wouldn't go through *stucked at progress installation bar so i just backed out of it/closed it. but when i powered it off then on, phone got hanged up!?! this post was a big help! :) thanks!!!

...now onto installing apps! again! yey! in a way a got a new phone! :p

"Extract "Stock Triumph 1980 01 06.00.00.34.7z" to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/"

how do i do that part?

my phone is acting up right now -- stuck with the virgin mobile logo during power on and wont go through. have to pull the battery out to power off the blank but turned on screen.

im trying to fix it with my very limited knowledge. :(

Upvote 0
ty for the set of instructions, question if for any reason (like taking phone back to the shop) how do you get stock rom back on and take cwm recovery off .

Apologies its been awhile since my last video but I'll be making a video of how to do this. I'm awaiting my new tripod for my camera I had previously been taking it on a box lol

Upvote 0
I don't know if anyone here can help me with this, but I restored my triumph to the stock ROM that was in this thread and that worked fine, I then tried to change the recovery from CWM to stock and then it wouldn't turn on and just gave me the screen in the picture I attached. I'm assuming this happened because I forgot that the stock ROM did not have root access. Is there any way I can fix this to make my triumph usable again?? any and all help would be greatly appreciated :D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
I don't know if anyone here can help me with this, but I restored my triumph to the stock ROM that was in this thread and that worked fine, I then tried to change the recovery from CWM to stock and then it wouldn't turn on and just gave me the screen in the picture I attached. I'm assuming this happened because I forgot that the stock ROM did not have root access. Is there any way I can fix this to make my triumph usable again?? any and all help would be greatly appreciated :D
i would go back into bootloader mode and copy the cwm recovery image back over to the phone, reboot and if that allows the android os to boot then redownload gingerbreak and unroot your phone. then reboot back into cwm and do a data, cache, and dalvik cache wipe, that way it clears all the random cache files and such from gingerbreak and superuser. reboot into bootloader mode and flash the original recovery img file to it and reboot again. that way you have unrooted your phone fully and cleared out any random logs and such in the phones files that may be unwanted to the system.....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones