• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

230 GB per month Background Services

uclachris

Lurker
Apr 14, 2012
Yes, you read that correctly. 230GB last month, and similar the month before. Background 229 GB, foreground 64.86 KB.

What in android background services can be doing this? This a basic stock OS 7, Feb, 1 patch. I dont want to update. I have scanned with malwarebytes, comes up clean. I have turned off all processes that I have access to.

When I open Wifi data usage in settings (I have cell data shut off) on the top is android OS at 229GB, and next down is chrome at 300MB.

This happen to anyone else? Any fix fix that doesnt include installing a newer version of android (I dont want to go any more recent than than the feb 1 patch).

Thanks for any help.

Please do not take this as snarky but it does seem odd that you've got questionably effective apps like Malwarebytes for Android on your phone but at the same time you're averse to OTA updates to Android itself.
While that may or may not have anything at all to do with that obscenely sizable 200+ GB of data, you might want to just disable Knox as it has more value in a corporate/small business situation than for most consumers:
https://www.progeeksblog.com/how-to-disable-samsung-knox/

Upvote 0
Please do not take this as snarky but it does seem odd that you've got questionably effective apps like Malwarebytes for Android on your phone but at the same time you're averse to OTA updates to Android itself.
While that may or may not have anything at all to do with that obscenely sizable 200+ GB of data, you might want to just disable Knox as it has more value in a corporate/small business situation than for most consumers:
https://www.progeeksblog.com/how-to-disable-samsung-knox/

Thanks for the info. When I go into applications --> knox there is no "uninstall" only "force stop" (not rooted)

Upvote 0
Looking at the "Network Connections" app, the skmsserviceagent (3 of them listed) all at over 2GB each now, when I click on them in the app it shows the ip, and ip information where skmsserviceapp is connecting to. Here is where its going: server-54-192-142-147.sfo5.r.cloudfront.net and ip administrative data is Amazon.com Inc (AMAZO-CF2).

Any thoughts on that, and maybe helping figure out the culprit?

Also, I have all "amazon" apps that say amazon in my application mgr disabled.

Oh, one other thing, I see the data transfer as "download", yet my memory used/available never changes...

Upvote 0
I ran package disabler pro, turned off all bloatware, turned off a bunch of system apps, and I look at the network connections and now I see "DeviceTest" (never seen that one b4) taking up 1-2gb at a time instead of skmsserviceagent. Ive gone through package disabler over and over, and anything devicetest or close to it ive shut off. still seeing it everyday gobbling 1-2 GB... for packets sent it says 10mb, received is 1-2gb. I still have no idea where its being put on my device or going to... same amazon cloudfront servers too (lax instead of sfo).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones