• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JLeslie

May 6, 2010
Anyone know of the schedule for the 4.2 upgrade? I just got a Galaxy Nexus from Sprint and it has 4.1.1 on it. I'm happy with t as-is, but I was just wondering if there is any sort of timetable for this sort of thing. My last phone ran 2.1 and that's all it could run unless rooted which I didn't (and still don't) want to do.

Unfortunately, GNexs from Verizon and Sprint are subjected to carrier approval before updates can be pushed out to your phone. That can take quite a while if they don't get a build they're happy with or if they're backed up testing builds for other phones. If you're open to Rooting/Roming, you might be able to get 4.2.1 on your phone today.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, GNexs from Verizon and Sprint are subjected to carrier approval before updates can be pushed out to your phone. That can take quite a while if they don't get a build they're happy with or if they're backed up testing builds for other phones. If you're open to Rooting/Roming, you might be able to get 4.2.1 on your phone today.
Okay, I understand. Rooting is not something I care to do. I can wait for the update.

Upvote 0
some users are reporting having the update
http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...have-jb-4-2-but-phone-wants-update-again.html

but i am not sure which nexus device they have, whether it is GSM or CDMA, i would assume GSM.

That would be the GSM phones sold by Google. There are some GSM Galaxy Nexus that are sold by the carriers that also get the slow updates.

Sprint (and Verizon) have been taking roughly 2 months to release the updates. If they continue with this schedule, then you can expect version 4.1.2 sometime this month and 4.2 (likely 4.2.1), at the earliest, in late January (but my guess is no earlier than February).

Reactions: NewmanTNinja
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones