• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for the comeback!
Yes it is straight talk where I purchased it.
I paid $300 + tax etc.

And yes none of the instructions in the S5 forum
seem to work so
is there a way to tell if it is S6 variant and
I will try the S6 forum and see if anything
applies there.
Thanks again
Settings say:
Android ver: 4.4.2
hardware ver: S902L.01
many others

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
My sister got her phone from UK and its S5 Neo with G903F variant, she is now in Canada and I have a Wind Mobile SIM, phone is SIM unlocked now but its showing Away on WIND. Now my question is that is it possible to install new firmware from Sammobile site for WIND and it will work?. Keeping in mind that the WIND uses AWS, is it possible they have frequencies present in the F variant just disabled by specific Root they install. or it is physical issue where they don't have that frequency present in the phone. So I will be installing this firmware which is for G variant on a F variant S5 NEO. http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G903W/GLW
Has anyone tried it and does it works ?

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
My sister got her phone from UK and its S5 Neo with G903F variant, she is now in Canada and I have a Wind Mobile SIM, phone is SIM unlocked now but its showing Away on WIND. Now my question is that is it possible to install new firmware from Sammobile site for WIND and it will work?. Keeping in mind that the WIND uses AWS, is it possible they have frequencies present in the F variant just disabled by specific Root they install. or it is physical issue where they don't have that frequency present in the phone. So I will be installing this firmware which is for G variant on a F variant S5 NEO. http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G903W/GLW
Has anyone tried it and does it works ?

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Tomcat55 :)

As you have no doubt discovered, the European model of the Galaxy S5 Neo, G903F, will not work at all on the Canadian Wind network. This is a hardware issue with the built-in modem and cannot be fixed by flashing the G903W firmware. Even the Canadian G930W model will only work on Wind on 3G and not 2G or 4G/LTE.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hi,

i'm new... this probably is not the right place to ask this question but i will anyways.

I bought a US phone that was SIM unlocked from Verizon (SM-G900V ). it still has all the proprietary Verizon junk on it and i was wondering if it was possible to flash it to a SM-G900F?Will it brick the phone? I Live in Canada and am on the Bell network it works fine for texts n calling i just disable the Verizon verification upon boot up. ( i checked frequency compatibility before buying but didn't consider the verizon bloat ware...)I Have watched a couple Youtube video's but most are labeled as flash for a different country. is that what i'm doing by changing it to an international version?

i'm really confused, apart from kies and Odin is there anything else i could/ should use? Is what i want to do even possible?

I hope i have better luck than Tomcat55 :/

Upvote 0
Hi,

i'm new... this probably is not the right place to ask this question but i will anyways.

I bought a US phone that was SIM unlocked from Verizon (SM-G900V ). it still has all the proprietary Verizon junk on it and i was wondering if it was possible to flash it to a SM-G900F?Will it brick the phone? I Live in Canada and am on the Bell network it works fine for texts n calling i just disable the Verizon verification upon boot up. ( i checked frequency compatibility before buying but didn't consider the verizon bloat ware...)I Have watched a couple Youtube video's but most are labeled as flash for a different country. is that what i'm doing by changing it to an international version?

i'm really confused, apart from kies and Odin is there anything else i could/ should use? Is what i want to do even possible?

I hope i have better luck than Tomcat55 :/

Hello and welcome to Android Forums zabzs05 :)

I am afraid that the Verizon carrier minority variant is only able to have Verizon's own firmware flashed to it. See, #1.6 of post #1. The phone is designed to work on the CDMA network for Verizon and cannot handle the worldwide GSM firmware of the international or Canadian models. The G900V will work on the Bell 3G network, (Bell does not do 2G), and is partially compatible with the 4G/LTE bands for Bell.

Upvote 0
Hi Ironass :D, i was afraid of that, no one was giving me a straight answer and went to rooting, and well i'm not comfortable with that. Would you recommend it? also is there a way to get android 6.0.1 without rooting , i know the software is limited by the verizon release and not samsung as you mentioned before.. also if i am still un comfortable with rooting, do you think that this is a good solution to limit the verizon bloat ware.

thanks for the quick reply. no matter that i can't flash to a different model, considering i got a relatively new phone (refurbished) for about 100$ less than the sm-g900f and i can use it with my service provider(considering a student budget), i'm still happy, just not ecstatic anymore.

Upvote 0
Hello,
Thanks for an amazing page. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a neophyte with Droids (better with old tractors).
I have a miserable little underpowered LG beast, and when Droid OS updated, the 8gig which was previously fine now eliminated nearly all available resources. no way to revert, either. (ugh)
I am looking for a serious improvement on a budget.
I'm thinking that the S5 is the best cost effective option so far.
I have AT&T in USA with 4G-LTE, and am wondering what the 'best' model would be for my needs.
I occasionally travel to France/Spain regularly as well as Australia. Data in the States is important, not so much when travelling. Swapping SIMs is not a problem for me, either.
I was looking at the duos, but they're near impossible to find in USA, and then they're very pricey.
In the end, I also need to be able to install apps to the SD Card, something the LG has great difficulty with and then only very partially. (Is this a Droid issue, and has it been solved??) I was told that lollipop firmware update can do this?
I'm looking at the SM-G900F and the SM-900A? Any better suggestions and/or ideas welcome...
Thanks again for your amazing efforts here!!!
OldIron01

Upvote 0
Hello,
Thanks for an amazing page. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a neophyte with Droids (better with old tractors).
I have a miserable little underpowered LG beast, and when Droid OS updated, the 8gig which was previously fine now eliminated nearly all available resources. no way to revert, either. (ugh)
I am looking for a serious improvement on a budget.
I'm thinking that the S5 is the best cost effective option so far.
I have AT&T in USA with 4G-LTE, and am wondering what the 'best' model would be for my needs.
I occasionally travel to France/Spain regularly as well as Australia. Data in the States is important, not so much when travelling. Swapping SIMs is not a problem for me, either.
I was looking at the duos, but they're near impossible to find in USA, and then they're very pricey.
In the end, I also need to be able to install apps to the SD Card, something the LG has great difficulty with and then only very partially. (Is this a Droid issue, and has it been solved??) I was told that lollipop firmware update can do this?
I'm looking at the SM-G900F and the SM-900A? Any better suggestions and/or ideas welcome...
Thanks again for your amazing efforts here!!!
OldIron01

Hello and welcome to Android Forums OldIron01 :)

Personally, I would not have the AT&T model if you gave me one. They are still waiting for the Marshmallow upgrade some 7 months after the international started to receive it. Also, like most U.S. phones, it will not be fully compatible with most of the worldwide 4G/LTE networks.

The international, G900F, and Duos are pretty compatible worldwide except for the 4G/LTE U.S. networks. If I needed a phone that was primarily for the U.S. and with occasional use in Europe, I would suggest the T-Mobile (USA) model, G900T.

For more information on phone compatibility, see, Will My Phone Work?

Upvote 0
I have a galaxy s5 model number sm-g900f. But my fone is lte-a version 32gb storage nd 3gbram and i want to uupgrade it to marshmallow but i dint knw which firmware to download.. pls i need help

Hello ans welcome to Android Forums celestine327 :):)

Install Phone INFO ★Samsung★, free from the Play Store and post your, "Phone Model", and, "Product Code", as per the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones