• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm insulted by the onset of cooler door ads. I've not seen such in my local Kroger stores so I hope the concept is received so negatively that I never have to see it. I have other shopping options and will likely frequent them even though I get a discount at Kroger as my wife is a retired employee.

Upvote 0
No Krogers here in LA..... thank god.
The stores here are called Dillons. Not knowing the history I only assume it was a chain that was sold to Kroger at some point in time. They have all of the Kroger branded products and employee paperwork is all Kroger... and has been for the past 28 years. I like the stores for the most part. They are a cheesy outfit to work for but most retails are. The cooler door ads sounds right up their alley.

Upvote 0
The Albertson by me is pushing for people to bring their own bags, so I'm sure they'll start charging for bags before too long,
I live in NY, if you don't bring your own bags and use a store bag they charge 5¢ each. Everyone has a stack of reusable totes by the door or in the car. The bag ban went into effect 3/1/20 and has cut down on plastic bag waste, I don't know the actual monetary or environmental impact but they aren't stuck in trees or piling up everywhere. It honestly has made a huge difference, you just don't see them laying/blowing everywhere. It was inconvenient at first but now it's second nature and I'm all for it.

As far as the ads on doors goes - that's not here yet and if it comes I'll shop elsewhere. I'm getting so sick of everything being an ad and being shoved in my face all day long.

Upvote 0
I can understand plastic bags being banned. Are the 5 cent bag that you can buy paper?

It takes time to get use to bringing your own bags. In France you have to bring your own bag, and every time I went grocery shopping there I would have to buy bags because I would forget to bring them

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I'm all for a ban on plastic bags. Beside the fact that they are made from fossil fuel, they are basically non degradable. Plastics are the planets enemy.
And you can't put them in your recycle bin for pickup either, unless the company that does our local pickup recycling doesn't allow them.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
My area does have a plastic bag recycling center outside the grocery store and also of Walmart I remember if I recall correctly as well, so There is no cent charge for the plastic bags either at the grocery store that has been in busines s like forever ago. I always have some friends over there too. I still reuse the reusable bags too. I feel better of reusing the plastic bags too.

Upvote 0
I'm fairly certain my Kroger has a depository for plastic bags. They still have paper bags but you have to ask for them. We keep our reusable bags in the car. The are handy to use and use again.

I have two plastic benches / storage bins on my patio that are made from recycled plastic. They aren't the most comfortable seating but they suffice. The storage they provide is an excellent addition to the patio and the benches aren't bad looking. I like the idea that the plastic was a recycle product.

As a school project when my wife was teaching middle school, the kids all saved their plastic and brought it to school. The plastic was turned into a picknick table that still sits in the courtyard of the school. I'd like to think that it really was the kids' recycled plastic that was converted and might be. If nothing else, it taught the kids something about recycling and how wasteful and pollutant a society we are.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I'm all for a ban on plastic bags. Beside the fact that they are made from fossil fuel, they are basically non degradable. Plastics are the planets enemy.
There, I must disagree with you strongly! The paper bags break too easily, which simply causes more waste as the items you bought break from having fallen onto the ground. Plus, it makes walking to the store far less practical, incentivizing people to drive more.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I agree that plastic is a superior product for holding contents. If not for their pollutant factor I'd be all in favor of plastic. The best option in my opinion are the reusable bags. They have more strength than either plastic or paper and have no impact on the environment.
In principle, you're probably right about reusable bags. But will banning plastic bags cause everyone to use reusable bags? Probably not. As I said, the law banning plastic bags will cause more waste than it stops. Besides, plastic bags are reusable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones