• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A little more life from a Nexus 7

Barbara Fu

Lurker
Mar 10, 2018
I understand the Nexus 7 first gen is no longer supported. Pity.

Right now mine is really slow, but I'm loathe to factory reset it because I've no idea what system if any will come online when I'm done. I'm perfectly okay with unlocking? rooting? it but I'd need someone to walk me through that.

I use it primarily as a reader, so the only apps I actually need to work on there are:
Kindle
Newsstand
NYTimes app
maybe LA times app

and I like to play Neko Atsume and use Eye Care Plus. I truly don't need productivity stuff like Google Sheets on that device, and wish I could delete them to make more room on it.

What can I do? I live in Southern California if there's a live technician you can point me to.

I have a Nexus 7 2012 too! The funny thing is, I actually did factory reset mine today. It did definitely help with the lag, although it still does lag some. If you don't care about losing your data, or you have it backed up, then it's probably a good idea to do it. 😉

Upvote 0
Curiously I've had no battery troubles with mine at all, just lags. The lags get worse after I've used a cafe wifi--yes, I know. Any short way to fix up the goodies that Starbucks has left on my device? That might get the lag down to something bearable. Used to be leaving it powered down for a day would bring it back.

Upvote 0
Factory reset would delete anything on the device, it does help with the lag, but it's not gone. I'd recommend factory resetting. Mine does have WiFi issues too. Our WiFi isn't bad, because the tablet I usually use has fine WiFi, same network. Factory reset can't help with the bad WiFi, although I don't know if that's what you're talking about...

Upvote 0
Curiously I've had no battery troubles with mine at all, just lags. The lags get worse after I've used a cafe wifi--yes, I know. Any short way to fix up the goodies that Starbucks has left on my device? That might get the lag down to something bearable. Used to be leaving it powered down for a day would bring it back.

:thinking::spitoutdroid:
You installed their apps or there's residue from their "coffee" or something?

Reactions: Member2047631
Upvote 0
:thinking::spitoutdroid:
You installed their apps or there's residue from their "coffee" or something?
I'm thinking cookies, unwanted trackers, things like that. The tablet always runs more slowly at Starbucks (with a commercial login and a checkbox for Terms and Conditions) and for a time afterwards. At an uncomplicated wifi connection like home or smaller cafes, there is no such effect.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking cookies, unwanted trackers, things like that. The tablet always runs more slowly at Starbucks (with a commercial login and a checkbox for Terms and Conditions) and for a time afterwards. At an uncomplicated wifi connection like home or smaller cafes, there is no such effect.

I would think that clearing the browser cache after the session should remove any tracking cookies and other crap that Starbucks foists on your tablet. Also when I'm in those sorts of places, after the sign in agreeing to T&C etc, I always run my VPN, so Starbucks or whatever just can't see and track anything I'm doing.

Upvote 0
I would think that clearing the browser cache after the session should remove any tracking cookies and other crap that Starbucks foists on your tablet. Also when I'm in those sorts of places, after the sign in agreeing to T&C etc, I always run my VPN, so Starbucks or whatever just can't see and track anything I'm doing.
Thanks! That has helped some.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones