• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Accidentally set radio to USA band

Toadily

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
I was playing around with *#*#4636#*#* because my Atrix wouldn't connect to 3g and accidentally set the radio band to USA Band now with no way of changing it back. I'm currently in China for another few months so I can't take it back to the local AT&T and ask for a fix. I've searched for this issue and it appears that there were other people with the problem but all of them were from 3-4 months ago and I'm not sure if they still work, such as Flashing SBF, but it's an unofficial 1.5.2. Here's the link: [GUIDE] Flash SBF to Motorola Atrix 4G - xda-developers

In my search I also found something to unlock the Bootloader, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to know if that'll help at all or not. Link: How To: Unlock the Atrix 4G Bootloader - BriefMobile

I was wondering if anyone had a better solution now or if flashing to 1.5.2 still works after all this time.

Hi, I'm also facing the same problem here in India with my moto Atrix 4G. my phone was sim unlocked and bootloader unlocked and also flashed to 4.1.8.3. As i was unable to use 3G, yesterday i was adjusting with the settings in *#*#4636#*#* hidden menu.. accidentally i clicked on "menu>select radio band" and selected it to "USA band". since then i was not getting the GSM signal. i stay in India/Bangalore and was searching for suitable means to get my Atrix 4G back to normal... I found flashing back to 1.2.6 would work.. and am doing it now... will get back after i complete it

Upvote 0
I had the same problem while trying to get Vodafone 3G or Edge to work on a Motorola Photon 4G. At least for the Photon, the GSM radio is shutdown if the phone is set to "USA bands" so that the phone only looks for CDMA when in the US.

I haven't tried reflashing the ROM. What worked for me is a complete reset. You'll need the MSL (master security lock) code for the device which I got by calling Sprint customer care and asking for it. Also note that all applications and data on the phone are erased...

Steps:
1. Start the phone dealer and enter: ##786#. Note down your mobile number and msid number.
2. Choose the option to reset to factory defaults.
3. You'll be asked for the code - enter the 6 digit MSL
4. Your phone will restart. My phone attempted to activate but couldn't since i wasn't in an area with Sprint coverage. I let it fail and then activated manually.
5. To activate manually, at the dialer, enter ##(6 digits of lock code)#
Menu > Edit > enter the mobile number and msid noted in step 1.
Manual activation also seems to take care of wifi being disabled.
6. After activation, my phone connected to the network of the sim card. For data, I had to create a new apn entry with "www" as the apn.

This got my Photon working on an Indian sim card. That "Select Radio band" option had me lose a good 16 hours on troubleshooting! Balls!

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm also facing the same problem here in India with my moto Atrix 4G. my phone was sim unlocked and bootloader unlocked and also flashed to 4.1.8.3. As i was unable to use 3G, yesterday i was adjusting with the settings in *#*#4636#*#* hidden menu.. accidentally i clicked on "menu>select radio band" and selected it to "USA band". since then i was not getting the GSM signal. i stay in India/Bangalore and was searching for suitable means to get my Atrix 4G back to normal... I found flashing back to 1.2.6 would work.. and am doing it now... will get back after i complete it
Hey i have a Motorola Photon 4G and i selected USA band by mistake and i have been jumping like a monkey trying to get a fix for it, im not a tech savvy guy, do u have any ideas how to get this problem fixed.. thanks

Upvote 0
Hey....got the solution...u need to root your device... Then download an app called NETWORK SIGNAL GURU from play store.. Then open app and click on top right corner and select lock band option and in 2g and 3g menu tick all options and u r done...u will see 3g and 2g working well in your device....u can unroot your device and uninstall app... Your problem is solved .. Working on my device..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones