• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Account action required" notification

BudDroid

Jan 14, 2011
Seagrove Beach FL
I've gotten a notification (triangle with ! in it) that shows the Google logo. When I click on it, it takes me to a largely black screen that says at the top "Couldn't sign in". It wants me to type in my Google password. I backed out of it and went to GMail, where I could still look at my Inbox, read emails, and delete them. Similarly, I can look at contacts.

Powering the phone off and back on didn't get rid of it.

How do I find out if this is legit from Google or some sort of phishing? If it's junk, how do I get rid of it?

I've gotten a notification (triangle with ! in it) that shows the Google logo. When I click on it, it takes me to a largely black screen that says at the top "Couldn't sign in". It wants me to type in my Google password. I backed out of it and went to GMail, where I could still look at my Inbox, read emails, and delete them. Similarly, I can look at contacts.

Powering the phone off and back on didn't get rid of it.

How do I find out if this is legit from Google or some sort of phishing? If it's junk, how do I get rid of it?
Can you post a screen shot? A few weeks ago Google had a big login problem and I had to reauthenticate all my devices. It is probably legit, but a bug in Google. I may be able to tell by the screenshot.

Upvote 0
Curiouser and curiouser.

I don't have the forum app on my phone, so I tried to email the screen shot to my Yahoo account from my phone's GMail app. It wouldn't do that for me, even though I've been able to view and delete email messages.

When I looked up from my phone, Chrome had gone blank and was displaying "Urgent Chrome Update required". Didn't do that, of course. Closed Chrome and rebooted.

When Chrome reopened after the reboot, I got a message from Google about suspicious activity on my account. I'll say. It wanted me to create a new password, which I did. Used the same password. Then, my phone told me that my Google password had been changed, so I reentered it there. All seems normal now. Either that or I'm sucked into whatever doom awaits me.

Anyway, here's the screen shot. When you click "try again", it took you to the screen where you would enter the password.

Screenshot_2017-03-30-11-22-01.png

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Curiouser and curiouser.

I don't have the forum app on my phone, so I tried to email the screen shot to my Yahoo account from my phone's GMail app. It wouldn't do that for me, even though I've been able to view and delete email messages.

When I looked up from my phone, Chrome had gone blank and was displaying "Urgent Chrome Update required". Didn't do that, of course. Closed Chrome and rebooted.

When Chrome reopened after the reboot, I got a message from Google about suspicious activity on my account. I'll say. It wanted me to create a new password, which I did. Used the same password. Then, my phone told me that my Google password had been changed, so I reentered it there. All seems normal now. Either that or I'm sucked into whatever doom awaits me.

Anyway, here's the screen shot. When you click "try again", it took you to the screen where you would enter the password.

View attachment 118350
That looks right, and the notification in your taskbar looks right too. I'd recommend setting up two-step with google as well, add another layer of security.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones