• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Alcatel Idol 3 help

Merwok

Lurker
Dec 2, 2015
Hi all, I haven't posted here before so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked before.

I've recently got an Alcatel Idol 3 (8GB internal memory). I had been using it perfectly well the first few weeks of owning it until suddenly the phone started playing up.

I moved most my apps onto my SD card (32GB) to try and enhance my space, I did this manually in the app settings by clicking 'move to SD card'. The settings for saving/downloading things have both been set to the SD card as default download location.

However despite changing that my phone insists on downloading updates to my phone's internal memory?

I'm not sure if this is related to storage issues also but my pictures no longer save? For example, I take a photo with my phone, whether it's by the default camera app, snapchat, messenger even screenshots no matter what I do it appears as a blank grey image with the error of 'no image file found'. They used to work perfectly fine and just one time when I booted up my phone they just failed to work.

I've done the usual rebooting (several times), deleting some apps that might be bugging my phone - no solution yet.

Also some extra info which might affect the answer - my phone claims to support 'hot swap' which means I can change my sim without powering off the device. As I installed my SD card the phone was powered on and I'm wondering if that somehow bugged it out from installing and recognizing properly - despite it showing in the storage settings.

If anyone can offer any advice i'd be grateful - my phones passed returning and it's a bit of a pain :p!

Well, downloading the update to phone memory is normal behavior. The SD card does not serve as an extension to phone memory, it's just extra storage space for media. If your phone memory has too little amount left, what you're experiencing is sort of expected. You should leave at least 400mb free space for it to function properly. Moving apps to SD card only partially help, but not entirely.

At this point, the only fix you can do is uninstall some stuff or rooting to gain more control. However the root fix where the SD card can serve as internal memory extension will have a hit on your device performance, as even a class 10 SD card is quite a bit slower than nandflash memory.

Other than that, try acquiring a new device with 16GB memory at least.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones